PLC Selection - need some assitance

rookie77

Good morning all,

We want to build a test panel with IO link to get familiar with the product line. We have ML100's and SLC 5/03's currently in house.

We are now looking at what we should buy for the test panel. The front runner is the compactlogix 5380.

Is this our best bang for the buck so to speak? Any other suggestions? We tend to stick with AB because we already have the license. Looked at siemens but after I buy the licensing, im not saving much. Especially having to learn the software.

Any input would be appreciated
thanks

We have ML100's and SLC 5/03's currently in house.
[..]
The front runner is the compactlogix 5380.
[..]
We tend to stick with AB because we already have the license.
If you only have Micrologix and SLC500 at the moment, I guess you have a license for RSLogix500.
Are you sure you have the license for RSLogix5000 which is needed for a compactlogix ?

Hey all,

Yes, we have a license for RSlogix 500 pro and Studio (among others)

Our parent company uses much newer technology in the other plants. Our equipment is older and has no "standard". We are hoping to change that going forward.

Is the 5380 the best/easiest choice for IO link in your experience? Being that inputs and outputs are minimal for this project (4 of each), I dont want to go to crazy on the PLC if not needed. It definitely will not be utilized to the fullest of its capabilities.

Save that for future projects after testing panel is built :)

I would maybe look at what standards are at your other facilities. The more standardized you become, the more you can draw on your own internal company talent and resources.

But, if I were to pick a new standard using A-B, I would look at the 5370 or the 5380. The 5370 uses the older style Compact I/O that your MicroLogix 1500 also used. So, a tried and true system that you already know. The 5380 uses the newer Compact 5000 I/O modules. I would look at these I/O systems and see which is best for your application.

And to be clear, the software you will need is Studio 5000, not RSLogix 500 or RSLogix 5000. Make sure you have that license available to you.

OG

EDIT: as for IO-Link, you can get your 5370/80 controller communicating to IO-Link devices using remote Point I/O or ArmorBlock. The Compact 5000 I/O and the 1769 don't support it. But maybe the 5000 I/O modules could support it in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks, That one I should have known:doh2: Been a long day already.

I might have access to an older system we have here that could be an option. Just doing some research now. I believe its a 1756-L61 and 1756-en2T with various other cards in the rack. Just following up on that lead.

Along with the Point I/O block or the ArmorBlock devices, the L61 and EN2T will certainly work for your testing purposes. Just be aware that the L61 only goes up to version 20 firmware/software. So to program that unit you will need RSLogix 5000.

RSLogix 5000 was renamed to Studio 5000 starting with version 21.

OG

Hey all,

Yes, we have a license for RSlogix 500 pro and Studio (among others)

Our parent company uses much newer technology in the other plants. Our equipment is older and has no "standard". We are hoping to change that going forward.

As long as you have RSLogix 5000 (extra zero) or Studio 5000 you are ok. Just double checking - as 500 won't get you anything.

We switched to plcs that run codesys so that we are no longer locked down to one single manufacturer.
Codesys is close to free after the manufacturer ads their stuff to it.