should I buy this laptop?

If you can change the SSD I would say this computer is good for the automation engineer. It has that one accessory which is becoming so rare, the built-in RJ-45 LAN port.

Built-in_LAN.png

check out the dell latitude 5420 Rugged.
we have lots of those and it has a built in rs232 port.
we have 2 internal batteries (no cd-thats where the 2nd battery is)
500 gb drive. 16 gb ram. windows 10 enterprise.
james

No - had one - touch screen failed several times. Get one of these but no touch screen - not a real issue. and buy yourself a 1TB portable SSD - I use Samsung. This has a proper Ethernet port as well - not one of those useless USB/Ethernet things or a stupid drop down Ethernet port that is very fragile - been there - done that!

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/asu...6gb-512gb-ssd-rtx-3060-6gb-gaming-laptop.html

Got a Dell Inspirion Ryazen 7 512 GB SSD and 8GB ram for £399( Dell UK Outlet) + £60 (Ebuyer) to buy and 16GB SODIMM fitted myself in 10 Mins.

My current laptop is the first one I've had that doesn't have a built-in ethernet port. I have found i prefer to use a USB network adapter over a built in adapter because i can connect the usb device directly to my VM. It cuts out any issues dealing with bridging and routing the builtin network card to the virtual machine.

My current laptop is the first one I've had that doesn't have a built-in ethernet port. I have found i prefer to use a USB network adapter over a built in adapter because i can connect the usb device directly to my VM. It cuts out any issues dealing with bridging and routing the builtin network card to the virtual machine.
I used to spend hours, sometimes on site, troubleshooting PC to PLC communication problem instead of troubleshooting the equipment. Eventually I figured out it was the built in port and in my search for a solution I found a Siemens UDB-ETHERNET adapter and a technical note recommending the use of USB adapter.

I now have two(non Siemens), one is USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0 connecting through VMs with no problem using one of the two; I thinks MODICON doesn't like USB 2.0 if remember right

I haven't checked it out toroughly but here's a couple of issues I have with my current laptop and I never thought of when I bought it.
No LED to indicate NUM LOCK. status, it is specially annoying when entering passwords and not noticing the numbers are not being entered.
The location of the touch pad makes is impossible to type with it being active, I always have to turn it off because I keep touching it with my thumb throwing the cursor all over the place.

Last edited:
No LED to indicate NUM LOCK. status, it is specially annoying when entering passwords and not noticing the numbers are not being entered.

I have Logitech wireless keyboards for all my desktops and one for my main laptop. None of them have a NUM LOCK LED and only the last one I just got has a CAPs LOCK LED.

That was, and still is, hard to get used to.

I just re-upgraded to an ASUS TUF laptop - which is awesome:
https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/For-Gaming/TUF-Gaming/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-A17/

Those specs on the website aren't much, but this computer is available in a variety of configurations. I have a 1TB HDD, 32GB RAM, and Ryzen 7 with NVIDIA graphics. The graphics card makes the CAD fly, it has an RJ45 jack, it has a full size keyboard with number pad, and the 17 inch screen is awesome.

I paid well under $2k for it - and it puts my Dell Precision to shame.

The main problem with that type of laptop for me is its fragility.

They are more designed for office use. I am a long term user and fan of the Panasonic Toughbook model CF52.
They are quite rugged in construction and ideal for the factory floor where conditions may be dusty or whatever.

I have several, and a big advantage of them for me is that the Hard Drive is in a removable cradle.

You can just plug it out the same as a battery if you have a problem with the machine you are using and plug it into another machine.