VFD Recommendations

Rson

Just wanted to start a thread and see what anyone had as far as recommendations for VFDs.

Here is what I'm looking for:

• Mostly used for 5HP & under @ 480VAC
  • rarely need 200-240VAC or 120VAC input
  • Nema 4 / 4X housing available
  • Possibility of having a disconnect switch on the VFD (not a total deal breaker)
  • Ideally - inexpensive, of course ($500 or less would be nice)

We used to use Lenze SMVector VFDS -but I have been told these are being phased out and as such, they are becoming more difficult to get a hold of.

Another colleague recommended World Drive VFDs - I've just started doing the research. If you have a favorite, please share!

I personally have the most experience with AB PowerFlex drives (525 and 750 series). The 525s are simpler to set up, while the 750 series is more advanced, but also more robust and flexible.

I have a small amount of experience with ABB ACS drives, but they are very straightforward and simple to set up and change parameters.

I also used a WEG CFW-series drive (from Automation Direct) on a small project and was very impressed. Not sure how well they're regarded in the industry, but it was very simple to set up and worked perfectly, and the configuration software is free. Best of all, they're extremely affordable.

We use Parker AC10 drives, very basic and simple. So it depends on your application, it is available in IP66 version, don't know what NEMA that can be.

If you use Lenze now, then going to ABB will keep the size and shape close to original. They go up to 480V as standard, do have a Nema 4X enclosed version, can't mount a disconnect direct to the VSD. You didn't say which size needed to be near $500, up to 1.5kW no problem, after that, dream on :)

If you use Lenze now, then going to ABB will keep the size and shape close to original. They go up to 480V as standard, do have a Nema 4X enclosed version, can't mount a disconnect direct to the VSD. You didn't say which size needed to be near $500, up to 1.5kW no problem, after that, dream on :)

I buy AC10 IP20 up to 5hp for under 500$ no problem. But maybe thats becauae the exchange rate

+1 for Yaskawa. They're the most reliable I have worked with, although not the most cost effective.

A/D is now offering rebranded Delta, WEG and LSIS drives and I have one horror story about the LSIS H100 but aside from that, they were easy to work with and some of the newer models are offered in NEMA4 enclosures in low HP ranges.

I have used a handful of their GS4 (Delta) VFDs with really good results where money was tight.

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...fined asc&start=0&Enclosure_Type_ms="NEMA 4X"

I always had good experiences with the Yaskawa when I was self-employed. That was several years ago.
Now it's all 525s or Fuji Mega, pretty much dictated by the customer.

I believe I'm biased since I work for an AB integrator. so all powerflex series don't tend to be that hard to deal with. Except for the odd issue like the 7 series having a new firmware update that causes internal issue with input conflicts that shouldn't be there....

Other than that, Yaskawa seems all around good, All of Magnetek (cranes) are yaskawa rebrands, and they dominate a huge part of that market with the yaskawa drives.

I'm also heavily biased. I like Mitsubishi the best. Some of my clients have Mitsubishi VFDs from first part of '90s, and everything is functioning excellent.
I have a good experience with most Yaskawa and most Danfoss. My experience with Danfoss is that it is good, while it is not Made in China.
With Yaskawa you have to read carefully nameplate when you are ordering ( light duty, normal duty, etc).
Schneider was excellent until ATV61/71, and now is BS.
Siemens was always crappy.
ABB was also good.
Eaton and Hitachi are almost bearable.
Lenze is ok, but I never liked their documentation. Not that there is not enough information, but that it takes you 1h to find control circuit wiring.
LS, Delta are good, until it is not some to complicated task, but if you have a lot of vibrations, run away from them.