Automation License Manager and FactoryTalk Activation on same server?

drforsythe

Lifetime Supporting Member
The plant I work in uses Rockwell software primarily. We serve licenses to users with Factory Talk Activation Manager using a server running Windows Server 2016 Standard, 64-bit.

We recently acquired a piece of equipment that has a Siemens PLC and HMI on it. I would like to set up a similar license server for the Siemens software for those of us that need to support the new machine. It is not practical to purchase separate licenses for each user because we do not access the software at the same time or very frequently, for that matter.

My question is: do any of you have Siemens Automation License Manager and Rockwell FactoryTalk Activation manager running on the same server? Are there any pitfalls or considerations for setting up such an arrangement?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Here is an update in case someone has a similar situation to me. I did not get any responses from anyone who has tried this, so I took a snapshot of the server in case it didn't work and I gave it a try.

I was able to load Siemens Automation License Manager (ALM) on the server along with Rockwell FactoryTalk Activation Manager (FTAM). As a side note, we also run Factory Talk Transaction Manager (FTTM) on this same server.

I have not seen any conflicts between ALM, FTAM or FTTM (knocking on wood vigorously). The ALM serves licenses as users need them just like FTAM does.

I didn't see this when you posted the original question. However I have hosted GE, Rockwell, and Siemens licenses all on a single cloud server for remote engineers to access without too much trouble. I am still quite surprised that it works!