FactoryTalk Studio - Changing startup screen

jakeparsons03

I changed the name of my main screen when I started my project, I then realized that was a mistake as when I went to run the project I got a "No screen selected". Is there a way to reselect that screen as my start up screen?

Also, I have a header and footer on each screen. I set it up the same way I would in ignition where they were separate displays I was going to piece together. Apparently from what I read that is not the case with FT and I have to include the header and footer on each screen individually. I have also read that I should be using "Global Objects" for that header and footer instead of just copying and pasting to each screen. I put my header and footer into a global object but I can't do anything with it from there. I was told that I just copy and paste the contents into a a screen and I would still be able to update the contents from the global object but that doesn't seem to be the case.

In the tree, go to Startup. You will see Initial Graphic Displays. Add the screen you want into the Selected Displays list.

For global objects. Copy/paste your header/footer to a new global object screen. Save it (might have to close/open). Then copy your header/footer on your global object screen, delete each header/footer on all of your screens, past your global instance you copied.

Alright so that fixed my startup screen issue. I am still a bit confused on the global objects though. I put my header and footer into a global object, then copied and pasted from that global object to my display. I then moved the graphics around and changed some labels in the global object expecting them to update on the displays and they didn't.

You might find better functionality than global objects in this instance if you just spawn on startup an always-on-top display that can’t be replaced. No redraw artifacts, no other troubleshooting. Just fit your replace displays to avoid collision with its content.

I recall an issue I had when changing screen names that required navigating to the file directory and editing the file name there to avoid issues. Can't remember soecifically what the issue was, I just know changing screen names in FT view was not without consequences.

For header footer, create a startup macro to place them where you want them.

There's limitations to what gets updated with global objects and how they're updated.

Error: Unable to open initial graphic display "MAIN"

Hi All, Has anyone come across this Error before? I have looked it up online and cannot find any reference to it.
It happens upon Running a MER file and the error reads: Unable to open initial graphic display "MAIN".
For sure you can make it go away by assigning a MAIN screen, but I believe it has to do more with a communications issue (Path, IP addresses, etc.), because after assigning a MAIN display the application does not ever communicate with the PLC.
Advice? Any information you can provide would be valuable, Thanks so much!

UNABLE TO OPEN MAIN ISSUE - FACTORY TALK.jpg