FactoryTalk Activation Manager - Server Unresponsive

Saulo35

Hi,

FactoryTalk Activation Manager shows the "Path to Activation" servers as Unresponsive, from certain locations; right now, from a hotel room (far from the US). However, I am able not only to ping the server, but I can see it (and its contents) from Windows File Explorer, under Network as a computer together with other servers back at my company.

This happens from some locations - typically remote (far away from the US). Up to two days ago, FactoryTalk Activation Manager was happy, working from a hotel room in the US.

Details:
VMWare Windows 8.1 virtual machine working under a Windows 10 host.
Using Sophos SSL VPN Client to connect to my company's servers - connected.
I have very decent Internet access both from the Windows 10 host as from the Windows 8.1 virtual machine.
FactoryTalk Activation Manager 4:00:02
FactoryTalk Activation Manager shows the red exclamation mark next to the server name (which I have both under its name and its address).
I "Refresh Activations" over and over, but nothing shows up. From "better" locations, I immediately get some of my activations, usually not all, but after refreshing several times I eventually I get all of those I need.
There are no activations currently on this virtual machine.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I have had to hit "refresh activations" as many s 12 times before the activations show up.

I have also had a variety of success depending on the internet access available. Through my phone hotspot, it is pretty reliable. Through some other phone hotspots, it never works at all. I have had better luck with copper connections than with wifi (look for the RJ45 port on the hotel wall).

There is probably a specific answer to this, some specific port blocked or too many hops through too many switches...I have not had it bug me enough to dig deeper, having always been able to get it to work eventually.

I am assuming you have a VPN connection to the server on which the FTAM server resides?

I have also had the "!" appear on the server path but it still works...

I recently installed Studio 5000 v30 and in the process upgraded FTAM on my laptop. Afterward, I could not check out a license from our server even with a local, solid connection to it. I ended up having to upgrade FTAM on the server to solve this, and that not only solved my problem, but it has been working better for all of the users ever since.

Last edited:
Thank you, OkiePC.

I have had to hit "refresh activations" as many s 12 times before the activations show up.

I hit refresh many times, but may be not as many as you did - I will give it a try.

I have also had a variety of success depending on the internet access available. Through my phone hotspot, it is pretty reliable. Through some other phone hotspots, it never works at all. I have had better luck with copper connections than with wifi (look for the RJ45 port on the hotel wall).

I forgot to mention, I tried both my cell hotspot and wall RJ45 plug. But again, maybe I was not insistent enough. Will try again.

There is probably a specific answer to this, some specific port blocked or too many hops through too many switches...I have not had it bug me enough to dig deeper, having always been able to get it to work eventually.

I am assuming you have a VPN connection to the server on which the FTAM server resides?

Yes, that is correct, FTAM resides on a server back at my company. Sophos SLL VPN connects me to all the servers there. I can open files on any of those servers.

I have also had the "!" appear on the server path but it still works...

I think I have seen that, now that you mention it (in places where it worked).

I recently installed Studio 5000 v30 and in the process upgraded FTAM on my laptop. Afterward, I could not check out a license from our server even with a local, solid connection to it. I ended up having to upgrade FTAM on the server to solve this, and that not only solved my problem, but it has been working better for all of the users ever since.

I am relatively new to v30 too but I did not pay attention to the FTAM on the server. I will take a look when I get back.

Tried everything I could, I am even now at the capital (supposedly better internet connection), and at somebody's house (as opposed to the hotel), tried both the house's wifi and my cell phone hotspot, still no cigar...

The progress bar next to "Refresh Activations" appears, grey, stays there for a few seconds, sometimes a little longer, then disappears, without ever showing any green.

I think what's left is to see if you can get activations with a direct connection to the server and check the version of FTAM on it, update if needed.