Twincat 2 64 bit re-engineering not able to start

derickloo

I have install latest twincat 2 64 bit(build 2301) into my computer running Windows 7 64 bit. After complete install and restart my computer, I found that the twincat icon is grey in color. I try to start it but it give me an error "Error 0x426 starting Twincat system!". I try to go to Services and manually start all the services related to twincat. When I start the Twincat System Services, it gave me "The dependency service or group failed to start" This computer have install old version twincat 2 64 bit and it work OK. But the latest version is not work. I need install latest version of twincat because the Embedded PC already change and it need latest version twincat system manager to communicate with it. Old version not able to communicate with it.
Any one face the same problem and any work around?
Thanks.

To my knowledge TwinCAT 2 run time has never been able to run on a 64 bit machine. That is why they have the x64 engineering version which basically lets you put the system in config mode only for programming remote run time systems.

You'll need to run TC2 runtime in a 32-bit virtual machine and connect to that. Since you are on Windows 7 you can use Windows Virtual PC from Microsoft, or you can also use VMware Player or VirtualBox. Of course you need both a Windows License and a TC2 license for the system.

To my knowledge TwinCAT 2 run time has never been able to run on a 64 bit machine. That is why they have the x64 engineering version which basically lets you put the system in config mode only for programming remote run time systems.

Yup, I install Twincat 2 x64 engineering version 2.11(build 2241). It not able to start. The icon is grey in color. Previously this version is able to start in the same machine, after I uninstall it and install latest build 2301 and found this latest build not able to start; I re-install back the old version but this time the old version not able to start also. Anything I can do? Please help. Thanks.

I just worry when I uninstall the twincat 2.11(build 2241) not clean and cause the problem. If it is the issue, how I can fixed the problem?

You'll need to run TC2 runtime in a 32-bit virtual machine and connect to that. Since you are on Windows 7 you can use Windows Virtual PC from Microsoft, or you can also use VMware Player or VirtualBox. Of course you need both a Windows License and a TC2 license for the system.

But he doesn't need runtime if I understand correctly. He just needs to connect to an Embedded PC so he can program it. And if the icon is grey (it should be blue, and TwinCAT should be in config mode) he won't be able to establish route to the PLC, am I correct?

So there is obviously some problem with the installation of the TwinCAT, as derickloo states.

Ahh, right. I understand the first post now.
Try using Run->msconfig and set startup selection to Normal startup and reboot. Then try and start the TC system service.

See if you can open SystemManager in [Twincat installation folder]\Io\TCatSysManager.Exe by itself.

I try to set the startup selection to normal startup and reboot it but the TC system service still not able to start. The icon still grey in color.
I can start TCatSysManager.Exe itself.

I had the same problem (grey icon) on WIN7.

I de-installed KS2000 + TC2.

Re-installed everything and it worked again. Only sometimes the TC-icon does not appear. I can start the system manager on PLC-control manually (see post 7) and it works fine.

After a reboot or on a next reboot the TC-icon most times appears.

I had the same problem (grey icon) on WIN7.

I de-installed KS2000 + TC2.

Re-installed everything and it worked again. Only sometimes the TC-icon does not appear. I can start the system manager on PLC-control manually (see post 7) and it works fine.

After a reboot or on a next reboot the TC-icon most times appears.

Sorry, I'm new in Twincat and Beckhoff, may I know what is KS2000?

Hi I had this problem and wrote about it in this forum (cant find it now... no option for finding your own threads, or i just cant find it.).
I tried a lot of things with win 7 64 bit but it didin't work.

The solution for this problem is to use win 10 or win 8.1 (dont remember if i tried it on 8 or 8.1 but i think both would be fine, and win 10 will work for sure) and it will work as a charm. :)

https://www.beckhoff.com/english.asp?ks2000/default.htm
It's configuration software for fieldbus boxes. It's not used that much on new projects, since you can put KL modules on EtherCat couplers.
But you might see a project from time to time with a BC9000 where'd you use it.

Have you been able to connect to the Embedded PC by opening the manager directly?

Cant connect the Embedded PC by System Manager. I use broadcast search but can't find the Embedded PC.

Hi I had this problem and wrote about it in this forum (cant find it now... no option for finding your own threads, or i just cant find it.).
I tried a lot of things with win 7 64 bit but it didin't work.

The solution for this problem is to use win 10 or win 8.1 (dont remember if i tried it on 8 or 8.1 but i think both would be fine, and win 10 will work for sure) and it will work as a charm. :)

Previously I run version 2.11(build 2241) and it work fine. After I change the Embedded PC and it required twincat new version. But after i install new version, it not work. Icon grey in color. I try to re-install old version but the problem still the same. Beside upgrade Windows OS, is there any way can fix this?

Don't know. You could contact Beckhoff and ask about this (I thinks this might be a bug). As someone mentioned before you don't have to upgrade your OS just install it in virtual PC (I tested both I prefer VirtualBox) and install windows 10 or 8 here. or use win7 32 bit with TC2 32bit