How to Upgrade old project .ap12 to .ap13? to be used in TIA Portal v14?

DenZ_P

Hello Guys,

Newbie in TIA Portal and Siemens here. Now I have an old project which i have downloaded online. This is the Color Mixing project tutorial but it is in v12.

The software I have is TIA Portal v14.. As per checking help topics compatibility of projects (See snapshot below), i have seen that you need to upgrade the project from v12 to v13 then when the project is in v13 it will be automatically upgraded to v14.

Now, is there a way to convert/upgrade v12 projects even though i don't have a v13 software installed anywhere? Because as per discussed in the Help topics, v12 files will be automatically upgraded when double clicked and open in v13 software and v13 files will be automatically upgraded when double clicked and open in v14 software. But there is no direct upgrade from v12 to v14.

I have also downloaded the migration tool v13sp1 but the v12 file is not searchable when im trying to browse for a migratable file. Please help!

I have emailed tech support about this and no response yet. 🔨
Compatibility_of_Projects.png

I think you really do need V13SP1 installed. The V14 licenses will activate the older versions, so you shouldn't need to buy anything else. I recall hearing that you should have gotten V13 SP1 install media along with V14, to assist with migrations. If not, your local Siemens rep should be able to help get you sorted out, or you can use the trial downloads from the support site (https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/us/en/view/106448872).

Note that if you're using any options in the projects (Step 7, WinCC, safety, startdrive, etc) you will need those installed for both V13SP1 and V14.

I think you really do need V13SP1 installed. The V14 licenses will activate the older versions, so you shouldn't need to buy anything else. I recall hearing that you should have gotten V13 SP1 install media along with V14, to assist with migrations. If not, your local Siemens rep should be able to help get you sorted out, or you can use the trial downloads from the support site (https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/us/en/view/106448872).

Note that if you're using any options in the projects (Step 7, WinCC, safety, startdrive, etc) you will need those installed for both V13SP1 and V14.

Hello mk42. Thanks for the response! Yeah. It seems like it. I will come back with my siemens rep for this one. thanks!

Hello Guys,

Newbie in TIA Portal and Siemens here. Now I have an old project which i have downloaded online. This is the Color Mixing project tutorial but it is in v12.

The software I have is TIA Portal v14.. As per checking help topics compatibility of projects (See snapshot below), i have seen that you need to upgrade the project from v12 to v13 then when the project is in v13 it will be automatically upgraded to v14.

Now, is there a way to convert/upgrade v12 projects even though i don't have a v13 software installed anywhere? Because as per discussed in the Help topics, v12 files will be automatically upgraded when double clicked and open in v13 software and v13 files will be automatically upgraded when double clicked and open in v14 software. But there is no direct upgrade from v12 to v14.

I have also downloaded the migration tool v13sp1 but the v12 file is not searchable when im trying to browse for a migratable file. Please help!

I have emailed tech support about this and no response yet. 🔨
Compatibility_of_Projects.png

Hi there DenZ_P

Not wanting to hijack your thread but along the same lines.

I have V12 Sp1, V13 Sp1 & V14 Sp1. Pro versions with their associated components installed & running fine.

I have a project created in V12 which I have to upgrade to V14 Sp1.

I upgrade from V12-V12sp1, V12sp1-V13sp1 with no problems. When I go from V13 to V14 I get a bucket load of hardware / tag errors.

Any help much appreciated

I upgrade from V12-V12sp1, V12sp1-V13sp1 with no problems. When I go from V13 to V14 I get a bucket load of hardware / tag errors.

To start helping, we'd need to know what the errors are.

Might be easier to start a new thread instead of resurrecting an old one.