Stratix 5400 DLR Status

danielm717

Hi all.
I have a stratix 5400 switch connected to a 1756-L83E controller via ethernet and I am trying to monitor the DLR network of the switch using the MSG instruction in a program. I input the data from the table on the manual to get the date for each service I am trying to obtain, but I am unsure what the "source element", "source length" and "what the communication path" for the MSG instruction should be?

Also, for each variable that I am trying to obtain such as the network topology, network status, etc, do I need a new msg tag for each msg instruction? I know the msg instruction has a destination element section where you select the tag you want the information to be sent to, but I tried using the same msg instruction just with a different destination tag but the destination tag changed on both msg instructions?

Im extremely new to PLCs so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

You should download DLR diagnostic AOI and Faceplate available as a part of Network device library in PCDC.

I have to get it via the msg instruction on studio 5000

This is exactly what the Add-On Instruction mentioned above does.
It uses multiple messages to get that data.
It also shows how to manipulate multiple messages using a single Message tag.

Get Attribute Single message uses blank Source Element and length of 0.

Last edited:
No, I refer you to the Rockwell supplied DLR AOI that is a part of the Network Device Library in PCDC.
It does all that you want to do and even more.
Unfortunately I can’t link it directly, go to Product Compatibility and Download Center (PCDC) and search for Network Device Library.
Specifically, there is an AOI that support up to 3 rings on Startix 5400.
The manual you are quoting shows the older version of the DLR faceplate and AOI that does not support Stratix 5400 fully. You need current version.

Last edited:
No, I refer you to the Rockwell supplied DLR AOI that is a part of the Network Device Library in PCDC.
It does all that you want to do and even more.
Unfortunately I can’t link it directly, go to Product Compatibility and Download Center (PCDC) and search for Network Device Library.
Specifically, there is an AOI that support up to 3 rings on Startix 5400.
The manual you are quoting shows the older version of the DLR faceplate and AOI that does not support Stratix 5400 fully. You need current version.

By any chance do you happen to know what information is obtained from the DLR? I managed to get the information with a MSG instruction but I don't know all the data that is given. I just know up to the 54th element in the array from the tag I created which is stated on page 49-50 from this manual.

https://literature.rockwellautomati...ture/documents/at/290e-at001_-en-p.pdf#page49

Rockwell ships "cheat sheet" CIP definitions put to use by their AOPs in the form of XML. Opening these in VS Code preserves formatting and colors the various attributes and their values for ease of reading.

You can find them under:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Module Profiles

In particular, you can find info on the generic DLR object here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Module Profiles\Core

"PSENetDLRCIPObjects.xml"

And info on the various Stratix switches here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Module Profiles\RA 1783 ENet Comms

Rockwell also provides an AOI that does the work for Stratix/DLR stuff.

Last edited:
Full detail of each DLR attribute is in the Volume 2, Chapter 5 of the ODVA CIP spec.
I can’t put document here, it’s not a public domain doc.
Use info that JeremyM posted and EDS sheet.
Also Get Attribute All response is different for different devices, based on the functionality and revision.
Response size of 54 bytes is one of the possible variations.
I personally prefer Get Attribute Single - its easy to parse.

Last edited:
I went ahead downloaded the folder from the PCDC that had the AOI. I implemented into the logic and saw it created a tag called "storage" but I still can't find what is actually stored in that tag. Not even the manual that shows you how to add the AOI in the logic explains what the tag stores. Do you have any references as to what is stored in the tags created by the AOI? My storage tag that was created has a data type SINT[520]

Storage tag used as a temporary buffer for all message instructions as Destination.
Once message is done, the code will parse the data returned by the message instruction to this storage tag. So contents of this tag will change based on what message is doing.

Basically, treat it a a blob of constantly changing bytes and nothing else.

Last edited: