Problems Connecting Cognex and Twincat

I am attempting to establish communications between a Cognex camera and a Twincat PLC. I have followed the steps given be Cognex here:

https://support.cognex.com/docs/des...ptional Communications Plugins|TwinCAT|_____1

Unfortunately, no luck so far. I am trying to figure out if the Cognex is supposed to be connected via a standard Ethernet network, or if it should be linked to the the Ethercat network. If anybody has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Did you copy the Cognex device’s ESI file to the "C:\TwinCAT\3.1\Config\Io\EtherCAT" folder? Does TwinCAT detect it? There are many tutorials in the Beckhoff website for setting up TwinCAT IO. It takes a bit of time to get used to it and the errors and warnings are sometimes cryptic. But once you get it to work it normally works very reliably.

Cognex didn't provide a ESI file. They just say to connect the Cognex to the Ethercat device and the Cognex should communicate using the ADS protocol.

As a side, we were able to connect the cognex device to a laptop running Twincat, but it is super touchy. It seems to be dependent on setting up static routes in a very specific order, which seems weird. Still haven't gotten a viable connection to a Beckhoff PC.

If it only supports ADS you need to use the firewall settings in order to open the required TCP and UDP ports for the ADS protocol. The Bechoff knowledge base explains what needs to be configured,

What is the model of Cognex camera? I don’t think many of them support EtherCAT protocol.

Your link is for Cognex Designer which is a PC vision software. The self-contained InSight cameras… I don’t think so.

Last edited: