Learning Siemens software

James Mcquade

Everyone,

we went to our vendor about upgrading some of our Beckhoff plc's from twincat to ethercat. the vendor came back and said they now use Siemens plc's and gave us a price. Looks like the company accepted the bid and we are trying to plan around the upgrade downtime.
How do i start learning the Siemens software? is there a free download somewhere? i know i can go to youtube, but i would like to install the software
on one of my VM's and play with it after i watch youtube.
thanks in advance,
James

Everyone,

we went to our vendor about upgrading some of our Beckhoff plc's from twincat to ethercat. the vendor came back and said they now use Siemens plc's and gave us a price. Looks like the company accepted the bid and we are trying to plan around the upgrade downtime.
How do i start learning the Siemens software? is there a free download somewhere? i know i can go to youtube, but i would like to install the software
on one of my VM's and play with it after i watch youtube.
thanks in advance,
James

In general I believe you can download the latest version of TIA Portal (which includes Step 7 for PLC and WinCC for HMI) from the Siemens web site. It will give you a trial period of 30 days. Then you will need to purchase a license. I believe the latest version of TIA Portal is v17.

I would also join the forum on the official Siemens website (free). It is a large community and very helpful.

James, one question about your question if you don't mind. I am confused because you say your company was planning to change some Beckhoff PLCs from TwinCAT to EtherCAT. But EtherCAT is the name of an industrial protocol that is supported by a number of PLCs, including TwinCAT. Did you perhaps want to say the company had thought about changing PLCs from TwinCAT 2 to TwinCAT 3?

Maybe he means they have some older machines with Beckhoff K-Bus modules, and they wanted to switch to the newer Beckhoff Ethercat modules. And the original machine builder then suggested Siemens because they have switched to Siemens.
Just guessing.

I had the company I work for purchase an S7-1500 training kit.
Came with a PLC and one year license for TIA portal.

Worth the money.

I had the company I work for purchase an S7-1500 training kit.
Came with a PLC and one year license for TIA portal.

Worth the money.

Have you contacted Siemens directly? I was once involved in migrating a site onto Siemens from one of their competitors. I received a full 1500 rack (DI, DO, AI and AO plus processor), the Siemens PG and the latest TIA Portal license as well as the Step7 5.6 license as a sweetener. I'd imagine Systems Integrators to have similar or potentially better. ;)

The trainer was bought in preparation for a larger project. When we started the project a year later, we purchased a PG and full license for support of the project.

I have never dealt with Siemens before. This was my way of trying to learn it before we actually had it.

i mis posted.
our old systems is twincat2 with profibus and some ethercat.
we want to upgrade to twincat3 with ethercat, but the company only uses siemens now. this is a december shutdown project and i wanted to learn now rather than having the software thrown at me.
james

Ok, I understand the requirement. Siemens is good and you have plenty of time. Let's hope the December shutdown goes smoothly and Santa does not come while you are stuck in the shoopfloor during the upgrade.

Last edited:
Consider getting TIA PRO version, it includes PLCSIM so you can simulate your programs. That is enough for learning to program. No need for a physical PLC.

Doesn't Step 7 Basic include PLCSIM for 1200?