Rockwell Automation Software- Can you lease it , by the year ?

Cydog

Good Evening ,

What are some of the options that Rockwell Automation have now to purchase software , Studio 5000 , RS Logix 500 , RS Logix 5 , etc. ?

I understand that you can actually lease it by the year ? Is that true ? We have a small service group , that we would like to control cost a little.

It sounds like the Rockwell Automation SW Toolbox is more complicated now .

What are some of the Rockwell Software options ?

Thanks so much ,

You'll need to get your answers from your distributor, the options keep changing every year. I've been using the lease option for several years now, I'm not sure they offer the ability to purchase anymore. Prices are definitely dependent on the number of licenses in the lease.

Good Evening ,

What are some of the options that Rockwell Automation have now to purchase software , Studio 5000 , RS Logix 500 , RS Logix 5 , etc. ?

I understand that you can actually lease it by the year ? Is that true ? We have a small service group , that we would like to control cost a little.

It sounds like the Rockwell Automation SW Toolbox is more complicated now .

What are some of the Rockwell Software options ?

Thanks so much ,

I don't have any hard numbers or know all of the details, but I'm fairly certain there is an option for a yearly subscription for the Software Toolbox or whatever they call it. It might be (made up numbers here) $2000 a year for one seat of the toolbox, where one perpetual/permanent license for Studio 5000 might be $5000 (or I've heard it's gone up to around $9000 :eek: ). A medium or large system integrator may want to pay the $2000 a year for the convenience of having licenses for all of the Rockwell software, where a smaller outfit (or individual) may opt to go for the larger expense but own the software (and only the software they need), or vice-versa. Obviously it comes down to each individual customer and their priorities about software licensing. I personally use a perpetual license for Studio/RSLogix 5000 and FTView ME, and it's nice to know that I can (usually) depend on it just working and my employer won't have to remember to pay the subscription every year.

Definitely contact your distributor. You can purchase a yearly toolkit and I believe only purchase what you need. You also don't need a license per employee. If you think not everyone will need a license all at the same time create a license server where guys can check them in and out as needed.

It's a mess to navigate on your own. Find your distributor, tell them specifically what devices and firmwares you'll be working with and they can hopefully narrow it down to what you'll actually need.

There are perpetual and annual licenses plus service contracts and add ons. Pricing varies depending on if you only need to support current firmwares or also older firmwares and devices.

It's a disaster unfortunately, but that's RA.

I went after a tool kit recently.
It didn't happen. The distributor informed me that I would have to sell XXX amount per year to keep the tool box pricing and subscription qualification. Ended up buying Studio5K Standard for somethin like 3K$. Give or take. Plus 500, Plus FTV>ME, Plus CCW Developer, holy cow man. This is excessive!!! Its a bit much. Have you purchased RS500 recently?? Its scary!

I'm not sure the toolkit is what they were really asking about. They asked if you can lease the software.

Here is a RA document that outlines perpetual vs subscription.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/sp/gmsg-sp013_-en-p.pdf

Rockwell will sell you what they call a perpetual license. With this, you buy it, you own it, it's yours forever. No other costs. If you want to buy a yearly support contract you can, but it is not required. If you want new versions when they are released, you'll have to pay to get the upgrade. Think of this like buying Microsoft Office 2019. It's yours, but it doesn't entitle you to get Office 2021.

You can now also choose a yearly software subscription. For that year you can use the software along with any updates. Like before, you can choose your support options. At the end of the year, if you choose not to renew, then you lose access to that software. Think of this like Microsoft 365 where you receive updated versions automatically.

This subscription model is where most software has been heading as of late. I now have subscriptions for several software packages. This model keeps that initial cost low, but you don't "own" the software. When you are done with it, you can't sell it to someone else. These subscription models also tend to be flexible. You can usually add and remove items and licenses as often as you like. Just yesterday I modified one of my subscriptions to add more users. Next month I can reduce the number if I want. Those changes are reflected in the monthly/yearly billing.

Keep in mind too that with many of these subscriptions, after 2-3 years you have paid the equivalent of full price. But, in that time you have also probably received an upgrade or two.

The toolkit that has been mentioned is usually reserved for RA employees, distributors, and systems integrators. A toolkit packages most of the various RA software products under a single license that has to be renewed yearly. As a system integrator, this allows us to design and program systems using RA software without having to manage licenses for each individual product we might use. This program has been around for quite some time and probably laid the groundwork for the subscription plan they now offer.

OG

Agreed, I've been on the toolkit lease plan for at least the last 8 years or better. Its a little easier on the tax side, its a direct cost versus a asset that has to be depreciated.

We have the toolkit, but we do have to sell X amount of Rockwell. Which is fine, it's the preferred platform for 95% of our customers. The more we sell, the cheaper the toolkit is the next year.