allen bradely 525 drive trouble

mavrick

Today I was running our conveyor and all of a sudden it stopped. I opened the control cabinet to check for a fault of some sort on the drive. There was no fault of any kind so I powered down the drive [turned the disconnect off] and re-energized it . After the drive restarted the conveyor took back off. I had to do this three times today, does anyone have in ideas of what may cause this issue it is very aggregating.

Welcome to the Forum!

What is the exact Model of the 525 VFD?

How are you Controlling it. i.e. I/O, Ethernet, DeviceNet etc.

Is it controlled by a PLC or some other way?

Stu....

it is a power flex 525 drive , controlling by I/o, and it is controlled by AB control logix plc.

Have you checked the fault history? Sometimes a fault will get cleared by communication or something else in the design. But the fault history will always capture it. The powerflex 525 has an excellent fault log. It will capture 10 faults along with drive status data at the time of the fault.

Like mentioned above, check the fault logs. Best place to start.

The VFD will stop if it gets a stop command from any source; Ethernet, front keypad, DSI, ect. Or if the enable is lost.
System network problems may affect the drives.
If it's controlled over Ethernet then you may be losing the Ethernet long enough for the drive to stop but not long enough for it to trigger a "Network Loss" fault.

Vdf

there IS also a parameter for a fault delete make sure this is not ON or better said that it will not erase faults automatically. Check your log to find the parameter

It is a power flex 525 drive , controlling by I/O,...
What other conveyors or motors are interlocked with the I/O and must run before this drive can run this conveyor?

Is there a zero-speed switch on this conveyor that might be malfunctioning (indicating 0 speed when it is really moving)? Sometimes a drive can run so slow that the zero-speed switch kicks in. That switch could be interlocked to cause a drive stop.

Is current limiting enabled, so that on high current, the drive reduces speed until the current is below the overload limit? If so, the drive may reduce speed to 0 at times, if there is some condition that is causing a continuous small overload.

Last edited:
GTUnit said:
...System network problems may affect the drives.
If it's controlled over Ethernet then you may be losing the Ethernet long enough for the drive to stop but not long enough for it to trigger a "Network Loss" fault.

I don't think this is possible?

While using network control, take EtherNet/IP for instance...

To Start the drive, the controller removes the Stop assertion by writing a zero to the Stop bit. It then writes a one to the Start bit. These writes are to the drive's data table and are done at the configured RPI, and while the connection is healthy.

If the connection times out, then the drive clears the data table and the drive is no longer under the control of the controller. The drive will experience an F073 - "EN Net Loss". If it's configured to Stop on comms loss, then it will Stop.

If the connection does not time out, then there is no comms loss error, the drive will not clear the data table, and the data table values will continue to update at the configured RPI.

So I do not think that any delays or intermittency in the connection, shorter than the watchdog or RPI times, can assert a Stop command, or result in the loss of the Start command.

Having said that...

There is an anomaly with the PowerFlex 525 drives, up to revision 2.02, where they do not clear their data table on comms loss. This is corrected in later revisions.

Regards,
George

The faults that I'm currently getting is code 105 and code 5. Since my previous post I had cleared the fault history and I had no issues until today. Any help would be much appreciated. These are the only to faults I receive consistently. I seem to get a lot of over current faults on various drives over the weekend.

If you are seeing F005's, that is saying the drive is seeing overvoltage on the bus. That will happen if the line voltage is too high (possible on weekends when things are off?), the drive is being overhauled, or trying to stop too fast. An isolation transformer, stepping down the incoming line to all the drives might help with the former, a dynamic brake resistor might help with the latter.

F105 indicates that the control panel is being removed while the drive is under power... odd for a 525, common on the 700's where places buy only one HIM module and electricians use it for multiple drives without electronically disconnecting it first. Are all connections on the control module tight?

You may want to check the firmware and flash it to one of the newer revisions if its very old. There have been ALOT of bugs fixed since the v1 firmware.

+1 on the firmware.

There have been some noise issues with these drives and later firmware revisions do help reduce some of these effects. But noise being noise, it will not mitigate all of these effects...

548224 - PowerFlex 525 Drive Stops with F114 or F105 Fault
Access Level: Everyone

Here is some more info on the DC Bus Over Voltage F5 fault...

62242 - DC Bus Over Voltage (F5) fault with PowerFlex drives
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George

thanks for the help I took the control module off and cleaned up the connector's and re-connected the controller. I am new to trouble shooting plc and vfd this had been great information.