Send data to Zebra printer with Micrologix 1400 over ethernet

jptrueba

I have a Micrologix 1400 and I want to send ASCII data over ethernet to print a barcode in a Zebra printer.

The model of the printer is GX420t and it has ethernet port.

The MicroLogix 1400 cannot send raw ASCII over the Ethernet port.

You might be able to use a gateway device for this purpose (like the Digi One IAP or something from Real Time Automation) but you can't do it directly from the MicroLogix Ethernet port.

The Zebra ZPL language is a common request for PLC users but as far as I know the answer is always "you have to implement it yourself". I've never seen a Zebra printer that supported a PLC protocol (EtherNet/IP, Modbus/TCP, Ethercat, etc).

Ken Roach, thank you very much for the information, i appreciate it. I'm going to check the gateways to make the communication.

I have just started working on this. Need to send date code and succesive number and tell zebra to print. ZPL looks feasible. Sales guy said no problem but now doesn't remember that conversation. And when I say just I mean I went here first so I don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Printing from a PLC is a pain period. A PLC does not have a driver specific for any printer so basically you do have to roll your own.

In my experience ASCII is the way to go. One trick I use is to take label software and create a label to a file. I can then open this file with notepad and see the data that would have been sent to the printer including all of the special characters.

The tricky part is getting your data embedded in the string. You do this buy taking your string in sections and adding your data and then recombine the string (told you it was a PITA). ALso as Ken said if you want Ethernet you will need a converter I personally prefer Anybus but what flavor you use is up to you

Talk to the guy who sold you the printer and get the label software from him. They should have a print to file function. Create your label and then make the file. Post it here and we can help you work thru it.

Just know, there is no canned code for printers to run on a PLC. It is frustrating and labor intensive.

Yes, AnyBus is the option I may have to turn to. I use them elsewhere in my plant. Just making sure the Zebra rep was full of $h!& before I ordered more parts. Thanks guys.

If anyone tells you running a printer from a PLC is easy, yes they are full of s&*t. I have hooked alot of devices to PLCs over the years and printers are always the ones I dread the most.

I have just installed a Zebra printer with a compact logix, if you want I can send you the manual and the label construction part of the plc program.

HI, I am developing an application in which when the print button is clicked then the data should be sent to the zebra barcode printer which is connected on LAN.

I have created ZPL script which is to be sent.
but the problem is that how can i detect zebra printer on LAN and send data to that printer.

Is there any socket programming to be done or there is any utility provided by the printer manufacturing company or any other way to do the same thing??

Any pointers may help

Thanks in advance