Stratix 5400 Time

danielm717

Hi all.
I am trying to sync my computer time to the time displayed on the switch because the time on the errors and everything else is completely off. What I've done was navigate to the NTP configuration tab and added a new configuration. I inputted the IP of my computer but for some reason clock status is not synchronizing. I've messed with other settings but I cant seem to update the time. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback as to why this isnt syncing. Thanks.

Just to be clear, you want to sync your computer to the switch time?
OR, the switch to your computer time?

Because, to sync the computer to the switch time, you need to point to computer TO the switch. You haven't mentioned doing that.

Otherwise, you'd need to run a NTP server off the computer and point the switch AT it.
(and I think it needs to be a specific stratum or it'll get grumpy)

Just to be clear, you want to sync your computer to the switch time?
OR, the switch to your computer time?

Because, to sync the computer to the switch time, you need to point to computer TO the switch. You haven't mentioned doing that.

Otherwise, you'd need to run a NTP server off the computer and point the switch AT it.
(and I think it needs to be a specific stratum or it'll get grumpy)

I would like to have the time on my computer to be the time used on the switch. I put the IP of my computer when I added a new configuration under NTP configuration but from what you're saying im assuming thats wrong?

If you're running Windows, open Date/Time from the control panel. There should be an option for internet time, set that IP to the IP of the switch and see if it'll sync.

or, you can use the command line option w32tm

So - Did you try that tool I linked? I haven't used a 5400, so i'm not 100% it acts 'like' a normal NTP server.

If it doesn't act like a NTP server, then you have some other options.
(You can have the switch sync to your computer instead, can just run NTPD) or a domain controller if you have one)

Is that Server on a domain?
(If so, run this command from an elevated command prompt) w32tm /query /source

The output will be the timesource for the computer, get the IP for that timesource and have the switch sync its time against that. (assuming the switch is on the same network)

Last edited: