If I only had a video clip of that fault

dmroeder

Lifetime Supporting Member
I did a project a few years ago where I had to keep a buffer of video, say from IP cameras, in order to get video clips of a machine when it fault. The basic idea was few IP cameras were placed on the machine, a piece of software captured the video and kept a buffer from each camera, when I detected a machine fault, I told the software to encode the buffer and save the video clip.

My original solution wasn’t ideal. The software keeping the video buffer was a CPU pig and the machine it was running on wasn’t very powerful. I had to write a program that interfaced with the camera software and the PLC. I have enough experience with interfacing with the PLC, but having to interface with another piece of software made it a bit of a pain since I had no control of whether the software was doing what it was supposed to be doing.
Anyway, I recently rewrote it using OpenCV and python to capture the video buffer, which means I can control all of it. OpenCV handles the cameras better, I can keep the frames in memory, which ends requiring much less CPU. I put it up on github.

At a basic level, you define your cameras in the config file (local USB cameras or IP cameras), point it to a BOOL tag that goes true when there is a fault, the buffer of video from all configured cameras will be saved in MP4 format. You can configure whether you want to write the fault tag back to 0 or not, the max number of clips you want to keep on disk for each camera, as well as the number of seconds of video you want to keep.
If you’re interested:

https://github.com/dmroeder/fault_video

And may I add: at least 4 cameras.
1 looking at the machine and minimum 3 watching the operator from 3 different angles.

A quick look at it and it looks very nice. Thanks for sharing.

This is fantastic. I don't have an immediate use for it but you can bet I'll be keeping this one up my sleeve for the next time I have a difficult, intermittent problem to solve!

And may I add: at least 4 cameras.
1 looking at the machine and minimum 3 watching the operator from 3 different angles.
I see you've worked with operators before :ROFLMAO:

I did a project a few years ago where I had to keep a buffer of video, say from IP cameras, in order to get video clips of a machine when it fault. The basic idea was few IP cameras were placed on the machine, a piece of software captured the video and kept a buffer from each camera, when I detected a machine fault, I told the software to encode the buffer and save the video clip.

My original solution wasn’t ideal. The software keeping the video buffer was a CPU pig and the machine it was running on wasn’t very powerful. I had to write a program that interfaced with the camera software and the PLC. I have enough experience with interfacing with the PLC, but having to interface with another piece of software made it a bit of a pain since I had no control of whether the software was doing what it was supposed to be doing.
Anyway, I recently rewrote it using OpenCV and python to capture the video buffer, which means I can control all of it. OpenCV handles the cameras better, I can keep the frames in memory, which ends requiring much less CPU. I put it up on github.

At a basic level, you define your cameras in the config file (local USB cameras or IP cameras), point it to a BOOL tag that goes true when there is a fault, the buffer of video from all configured cameras will be saved in MP4 format. You can configure whether you want to write the fault tag back to 0 or not, the max number of clips you want to keep on disk for each camera, as well as the number of seconds of video you want to keep.
If you’re interested:

https://github.com/dmroeder/fault_video

I have always wanted to put a camera in our panel right above the HMI and take a picture every time an operator hit a button (with a 60 second denounce or so) and then correlate that with a event log of button presses.

Boy would explain how a lot of **** gets ****ed up :rolleyes: "Yeah I have no idea how it got set like that, I just found it that way" :whistle:

P.S. Bad *** btw