Studio 5k - Shortcut to copy and paste a tag name only?

OWEN.DAVID

To copy a tag name in S5k we can,

*right click an instruction
*open the edit properties dialog box
*and then copy the tag name text

If we highlight the tag name in an instruction in the ladder editor then we copy the whole instruction as well.

Is there a keyboard shortcut or other trick for quickly/easily moving tag names around the program?

I feel like there must be a better way?

You can click and drag the tag name from one instruction to another - is that what you're looking for?

If you click the instruction itself, you just move the instruction - e.g. the XIC itself moves, with the associated tag attached.

If you click the tag name above the instruction, then the instruction (and it's tag) stays put, but you can drag the tag name onto another XIC/XIO/OTE/Anything you like, and it'll copy that tag name to the new instruction.

You can click a tag and drag it into an Excel spreadsheet cell, also drag from Excel to the ladder instruction. Also drag to HMI programs.

If it works with Excel it probably works with Word and Notepad, just have to add <Enter> after each.

You can click a tag and drag it into an Excel spreadsheet cell, also drag from Excel to the ladder instruction. Also drag to HMI programs.

If it works with Excel it probably works with Word and Notepad, just have to add <Enter> after each.

Can this be done at the controller tag database window?

do all the tag properties move to excel and can it be done offline and online ?

ok, great!

This is the closest to what I had in mind, i.e. an easy workflow to move tag names in/around the S5k program and then into external programs for HMI, etc.

It does work with a text editor and I noted from a ladder editor window you can drag the tag names, instructions, and rungs out into text format.

The tag names will drop right back in, but the instructions and rungs need to be entered in the rung editor text bar. I found double clicking on the rung number opens the text editor.

Otherwise there is no function to simply copy the tag name without opening dialogs or highlighting text. It would be a nice feature if ctrl+shift+c always copied a tag name into the clipboard for use elsewhere in the program.

We live in hope!

You can click and drag the tag name from one instruction to another - is that what you're looking for?

If you click the instruction itself, you just move the instruction - e.g. the XIC itself moves, with the associated tag attached.

If you click the tag name above the instruction, then the instruction (and it's tag) stays put, but you can drag the tag name onto another XIC/XIO/OTE/Anything you like, and it'll copy that tag name to the new instruction.

Thanks, yes, aware of this in the ladder editor whilst working online or offline.

I am interested in a way to quickly move tag names in/around the S5k program and then out into external programs (e.g. HMI programming)

It seems that the most efficient way is to an external editor in a window alongside s5k and then back again.