Wireshark - access to PLC ?

EICS

if this thread contravenes this sites rules i will delete it.

has anyone used Wireshark to access a password-ed PLC via a serial port or know if this is at all "technically" possible?

i am not asking for a "how to" just simply if it is at all possible.

Machine is Chinese built and only 5 years old, the OEM does not have the password as they had another company do the automation, that other company will not supply it due to what they term as "secret business"

Wire shark is for ethernet, not serial. You will need to look at multidrop serial and a Telnet type application.

What brand of PLC?

There are a number of serial sniffers that when run can see the send/recieve traffic & log it. they even work on USB to serial cables.

Wire shark is for ethernet, not serial. You will need to look at multidrop serial and a Telnet type application.

What brand of PLC?

Wireshark can if the comm is on a USB dongle. It would use the USBPCAP driver to do so.

I have had success with Micrologix processors when the previous engineer passed away unexpectedly with every single processor in the building password locked.

You can use this program to capture serial traffic on a COM port and it will save it as a Wireshark PCAP file
https://github.com/j123b567/SerialPCAP

I just tested it with Modbus RTU traffic, and it seems to work. I did have to increase the gap time though (the default is 10ms) because it was splitting up packets incorrectly at 10ms.