4-20mA to Type J input

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have a customer with a machine that is physically maced out on I/O. I have 5 Thermocouple inputs that are not used. I need a signal conditioner that will let me take a 4-20Ma signal in and give me a Type J output. Its not a necessity for them it more of a want.
Ive looked and I ASSuME that I'm just missing it. Doe anyone have a solution?
Thanks and hopefully your day is going good

I do not think you will find anything of the sort, but I will be watching just incase this does exist.

It is not possible to change the sensor and just run a Type J thermocouple, I ASSuME?

edit: you would need a signal conditioner that could output 4mA to -8.09mV and 20mA to 69.553mV I believe based off the following chart for type J thermocouple

https://www.thermocoupleinfo.com/type-j-thermocouple.htm

Last edited:
Like all thermocouples, the temperature vs voltage relationship is not linear, therefore, this conversion to type J would cause some error.

+1 for Steve Bailey

What is the cat# of your input module? Some Thermocouple modules have a millivolt input range also.

See pdf for 4 to 20ma to millivolt converter

https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/specs/fcbiposigcond.pdf

Interesting, I see the 1769-IT6 has the mV range might be useful to remember.

I have used the Spectrum Controls Universal analog input modules in the past 1769SC-IF8, they are nice for a mix of analog/rtd/tc.

edit: fixed IF to IT6