Any Sullair Compressor Folks here?

marv_tech

Hey All,

I've got a Sullair LS-16 (V160) compressor with the 3-line Supervisor controller (identical to this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353719922125 ) that I am trying to get talking RS-485.

The diagrams I have found (attached) are calling for a comms module, but it looks like it is possibly just an isolator. Anyone ever gotten one of these Sullair compressors talking?

sullair comms module.png

Can you define "get talking"? Are you sequencing compressors or just monitoring?
What do you want to communicate with? PC, PLC, something else?

The ultimate goal is to get it talking to a protocol converter (ICC ETH-1000 Sullair Master to Bacnet) but I can't even get it talking directly to me in a serial terminal.

When I tap the protocol converter directly, I see it is sending a message using that protocol that looks like a valid message. When I hook it to the machine, I see the RX and TX blinking but I suspect the RX is blinking because it is seeing traffic between the IO board and the controller. The converter never receives a valid message in response.

I took a peak at the data stream from the Sullair and it does not look the same as the protocol in my protocol manual. I suspect that IO module is doing some magic (protocol conversion from the Sullair "Sequencing" protocol to whatever they are using internally) but I wanted to check if anyone knew for sure before buying one.

I appreciate the response, I realize this is pretty niche. This is my last place to turn as I have not been able to get support through my vendor.

BTW you will need the communication module 02250 128- 157 if you do not already have one with your compressor.

Thank you for this. I think this is my problem, I was hooking directly to the comms bus that ran to between the board and the supervisor controller. I was hoping this board was only doing isolation and not conversion but it sounds like it is doing both.

One of these just popped up on Ebay so I'll give it a go.

Hi marv_tech,

Josh here from ICC. I apologize that you did not receive a response from us. I've investigated this and cannot find any recent emails or support tickets regarding Sullair and the ETH-1000. How did you attempt to contact us?

Regarding your questions, as TWS stated, you do need the communications module. The communications module converts between Sullair's Inter-module Network Protocol to the Sullair Supervisor Sequencing Protocol. The ETH-1000's Sullair Master driver communicates using the Sullair Supervisor Sequencing Protocol.

We are knowledgeable on Sullair communications and have helped many customers successfully interface our gateways to Sullair equipment. If you need additional assistance, please submit a support ticket via our support center here:
http://www.iccdesigns.com/hesk/

BTW you will need the communication module 02250 128- 157 if you do not already have one with your compressor.

Hi marv_tech,

Josh here from ICC. I apologize that you did not receive a response from us. I've investigated this and cannot find any recent emails or support tickets regarding Sullair and the ETH-1000. How did you attempt to contact us?

Regarding your questions, as TWS stated, you do need the communications module. The communications module converts between Sullair's Inter-module Network Protocol to the Sullair Supervisor Sequencing Protocol. The ETH-1000's Sullair Master driver communicates using the Sullair Supervisor Sequencing Protocol.

We are knowledgeable on Sullair communications and have helped many customers successfully interface our gateways to Sullair equipment. If you need additional assistance, please submit a support ticket via our support center here:
http://www.iccdesigns.com/hesk/

Hey Josh, I really appreciate you reaching out here. I will purchase one of those comms boards and give it a shot!

I tried to go through our supplier rather than directly through ICC, I was hoping they might forward it to you if they couldn't handle it but I suspect it is in limbo in their customer support. I should have gone directly to you. Thanks again for the help, I will update once I have the thing talking.