How I convert 1 phase(220-230 volt) to 3 phases (380-400 volt) maximum up to 1KW...

As I interpret the OP, he has single phase 230 volts available and he wants to use the drive as a power source (not necessarily for a motor) to supply 3 phase, 400 volts. Unless he includes a transformer in his design, he'll be disappointed with the results.

So how does the drive shown in the video boost the voltage?
These drives go for something like 80 bucks.

And there's this note:

The output voltage can be changed, but 0-380V is proportional to the frequency of 0-50HZ. If the 220V motor is connected to 220V, the frequency is only 29hz, and the maximum speed cannot be reached. If the voltage is higher, the motor will burn out.

Last edited:
He is going to be disappointed if he hooks up anything other than a servo motor to that amplifier.

1. Rotary phase converter

2. Single phase DC power supply with DC input VFD. (Bonitron)

Thank you for all your support.

Please look at the picture,

Even Input is 1 phase 220 volt Ac, Output is 3 phases *400 volt AC 50 HZ.

This is what I wanted.

I mentioned I just use it as 3 phases*400 volt power source...

InkedInkedEkran Alıntısı_LI.jpg

I do not wanna talk with electric distusbition company to get 3phases *400 volts in my garage.

Therefore I want one simple, basic solution like a video...

There are plenty of VFDs on the market which will do what you want. The particular model you posted requires is designed for a servo motor load and is a bit different. These particular models DO include the mechanism to increase the DC bus voltage beyond what can normally be achieved with a 220V input, but the current output is reduced (Allen Bradley drives are derated to 35% of the normal output).

An example of a drive that will do what you want would be the Allen Bradley Powerflex 523 part number 25a-ap8n104 which will give you 400V 4.8A output. The retail price in Australia for that drive is AUD$700. There are plenty of cheaper brand options for less.

There are plenty of VFDs on the market which will do what you want. The particular model you posted requires is designed for a servo motor load and is a bit different. These particular models DO include the mechanism to increase the DC bus voltage beyond what can normally be achieved with a 220V input, but the current output is reduced (Allen Bradley drives are derated to 35% of the normal output).

An example of a drive that will do what you want would be the Allen Bradley Powerflex 523 part number 25a-ap8n104 which will give you 400V 4.8A output. The retail price in Australia for that drive is AUD$700. There are plenty of cheaper brand options for less.

that product number you listed is for a 0-230v 3 phase output. I don't think there are any that take 230v input and output 400+ volts.

Capture.JPG

520-pc002_-en-p.pdf

that pdf (search it, too big to put it up) lists the drives and their input/output ratings, none that take single phase 230 input have any higher than 230v output.

Dear All,

3 phases (380-400 volt) are needed for my small lap in my garage.

Normally there is one 1 phase 220-230 volt in my garage but I would like to test or play 3 phases VFD driver or servo driver in order to improve my skills.

I do not wanna talk with the electric distribution company due to lots of paper works and procedures.

I see some drivers 1 phase input and 3 phase output but their output is a maximum of 3 * 220-230 volt.

My request is 3*380-400 volt...

Any idea How I can get these voltages?

Thanks in advance.

your best bet is to either build or buy a rotary phase converter. pretty much entails having a 220v motor to start the system, tying a 3 phase motor into the same leads as the 220v single phase motor. and using a capacitor bank to build the 3rd leg and balance it with the others. (there are other iterations of a phase converter that just work off a single 3 phase motor, with appropriate start winding/capacitor circuit, those are just a little more complex than spinning it up with a second motor is all).

or you just buy, but it looks like you are short on cash to just buy a phase converter. so start scouring youtube and online tutorials talking about how to make one.

you'll need a transformer as well, because you can't just magically get a higher voltage by spinning a motor or converting AC to DC then back again (VFD). even after a phase converter, the voltage will need to be increased to the right level. But to run anything of a decent size you'll need to oversize the phase converter due to all the losses from spinning a motor being used to generate a third phase.

I'm getting confused myself.

Can someone explain in relatively simple terms how a VFD's output maybe higher than its input and what the limitation a are.

Thanks

Because it is an inverter, in other words, it is possible of generating a higher volatage than is supplied but obviously the output current will be lower than the supplied current. The problem with inverters (VFD's) is that the output is not exactly a sinewave, in fact some are more akin to a square wave, not really suited for feeding power to some equipment.

like parky and alan said. what you put in is generally what you end up getting out, the output voltage actually varies based on frequency due to the way the PWM output works.

and that specific wk310 VFD has a built in transformer to boost the voltage output (while you lower it's total load it can handle, inversely).

As it works, the pulse width modulation (PWM) is from the length of time it allows the output on through an IGBT. and you get the 'fake' waveform. you can see it doesn't actually reach a low voltage, it is either on or off. you read the difference in voltage due to the way a voltmeter reads voltage, whether its RMS or not. the problem is. if you put in 277v across two legs is 480v, converted to DC it will max out at 678Vdc, which will be the peaks of the PWM form. but just because it hits those peaks doesn't mean you'll see that as RMS from the PWM output.

I'm not exactly an expert on it, but thats basically why you don't get more out than you put in, unless you use a transformer to trade voltage for amperage.
09530897255.jpg

shops that don't have 480v service, will only get 480v to use equipment by using a phase converter and a transformer to bump it up. you can't drive anything with a VFD output, it's not the same as an analog waveform.