RSLogix 5000 - How to Extract all controller tags (including child tags)

plcguy1224

I am trying to get all of the controller tags from a RSLogix 5000 project into an excel spreadsheet along with the style, data type and Description. The project has thousands of controller tags, some of which have child tags and then those also have child tags so expanding everyone that has these sub-sections is so tedious.

I have tried saving the file as a L5K but it doesnt seem like there is any logical way to pull the child tags out of this file (can only see the parent tags in the tag section of the code).

I have been doing it manually, but cant help thinking there must be a easier way (could take me days to do it for all the PLCs). If anyone knows of a better way than manually expanding each section and then copying the lines of data from RSLogix 5000 to excel please let me know.