CIP Generic Micrologix 1100 to Endress Flowmeter no communication.

emomorales

Lifetime Supporting Member
Having an issue with network timing out when trying to use CIP generic on a Micrologix 1100 B. I’m trying to read flow and totalizer information off of a Endress Hauser pro mag flow meter. Set the CIP for channel 1, CIP generic, generic get attribute single, I set up the service, class, instant an attribute. I set the flow meter IP address in the multi hop section. I created a message function and a timer so it triggers every cycle of the timer. I can see the flow meter on my network. I also see it in RS links.

Verify that the flowmeter's IP address is correct and that it is running its EtherNet/IP protocol stack. One easy way to do that is to use the "tnc" test network connection command in Windows PowerShell, and specify TCP Port 44818. The fact that you can see it in the RSLinx Classic browse is a good indication, but check anyhow.

>I set up the service, class, instance and attribute

What S/C/I/A values are you using ?

A good way to tell if the device is running its EtherNet/IP stack correctly is to read the same Class 1, Instance 1, Attribute 1 value that RSLinx is reading for the device Identity.

Next, revisit your rung logic and put in a bit that you can manually toggle, instead of using a repeating timer. You want to be able to power up, connect to the MicroLogix, and trigger the MSG just once to see if it works.

When I use repeating timers to execute MSG instructions, I always also include and XIO for the .EN bit, so the timer doesn't re-execute the MSG (and place another occurrence into the comms buffer) if the timer completes before the message is complete with an .ER or .DN result.

Thank you for those details !

If you enable just one of the messages just once, does it eventually complete with a .ER error bit and an error code ?

The .EW "Enabled and Waiting to Execute" suggests that the MicroLogix communication buffers are full and this message is waiting for them to clear out.

Are there other MSG instructions to other devices in your MicroLogix program ?

EDIT: the .EW might not be meaningful because your screenshots are in OFFLINE mode. Be sure, of course, that you're online and in RUN or REMOTE RUN mode when testing !

I can ping the IP address for the flow meter. I can connect to the flow meter to change settings in the browser and see it in RS Linx.

Thank you for that critical detail of the error code !

Are you running RSLogix 500 version 10 ? There is a bug that corrupts MSG instructions of CIP Generic type in the MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 in that version of RSLogix.

You can use v9, or v11, or patch the software.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/922233/loc/en_US

You might also be able to reset the corruption by exporting the RSS file to SLC library file format, then re-creating the project file and re-downloading.

This is the first time I’ve had to use that RS 500 and about two years. I will check the version when I get back to work tomorrow. I appreciate you helping me with this.

Well I downloaded the patch and I have communication now. Now my problem is getting the correct data off this thing with this micrologic. According to the EDS file data is real/float. Every time I try to put something in other than a N file in a message settings I get an error. This integer Data does not actually match what the flow meter is doing.

Well I downloaded the patch and I have communication now. Now my problem is getting the correct data off this thing with this micrologic. According to the EDS file data is real/float. Every time I try to put something in other than a N file in a message settings I get an error. This integer Data does not actually match what the flow meter is doing.

This is a WAG, but is it possible that the data from the flow meter is in raw counts, i.e. 4mA (or 0% flow) = 6241, 20mA (or 100% flow) = 31208 or something like that? If it looks like the value of that integer increases as the flow increases, it could just need to be scaled.