Lookout, XP and Modicon

mobil1syn

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a fleet of aging equipment that uses lookout running on XP computers. these systems are stand alone units, most dont connect to the outside world and the few that do are with an autodialer and land line for alarms and shutdowns. i worked here for a number of years previously, left for about 8yrs and am back. most of these systems have been running since the early 2000s, arguably coming up on the end of their life cycle but due to service agreements we are responsible for keeping them running.

knock on wood, the Modicon controllers have been fairly reliable. XP computers are the current achilleas heel. i know previouisly VMs were tried, but there were some issues with the registries (computer talk over my head, but how it was explained to me) that Lookout uses since they are shared with the host machine.

so phase 1 of this is to get an HMI that runs on a more modern machine and cellular remote access.

Ignition seems to be the best solution at this time. any other options i should consider?

You can still get XP-compliant motherboards. Don't know about your side of the pond, but over here companies like Amplicon sell them.

I would look at an OnLogic NUC/mini-server running Ignition as a replacement. Ignition platform comes with ModBUS TCP driver as standard. Ignition can also auto-dial, with Sierra AirLink hardware.

LOL, arguably?

What is the protocol between the HMI and the Modicons?

If I am going to dive down this rabbit hole, I need to believe the time is worth the investment. 72% of this endeavor is selfish to learn ignition but need to have a solid plan on implementation that I can present as a cost effective solution.

You can still get XP-compliant motherboards. Don't know about your side of the pond, but over here companies like Amplicon sell them.

I would look at an OnLogic NUC/mini-server running Ignition as a replacement. Ignition platform comes with ModBUS TCP driver as standard. Ignition can also auto-dial, with Sierra AirLink hardware.

thanks for the information, will look into it.

Originally Posted by drbitboy View Post
LOL, arguably?

What is the protocol between the HMI and the Modicons?

Why not stick with MODBUS, the Maple and EXOR HMIs will both interface easily.

Why not stick with MODBUS, the Maple and EXOR HMIs will both interface easily.
but with little to no historical trending. these are water treatment systems that run unattended, there are markers to indicate some issues that allow you to resolve before they fail. the newer systems have PV or RedLion HMIs, but they wont have any trending which will be problematic from an operational and troubleshooting standpoint.

If it's a water treatment plant you definitely want a proper SCADA. You'll need to historize past data for compliance reporting purposes, as well as for incident investigation etc.

100% go for ignition, but you might need a "full" version rather than Edge. I'd sit down with the end user / municipality / water authority and ensure all their requirements are met by the package you'll implement.

If they're old Modicons you probably also need to think about a migration path. Schneider can definitely help with that if you stick with the modicon platform - Now M340 or M580 processors.

but with little to no historical trending. these are water treatment systems that run unattended, there are markers to indicate some issues that allow you to resolve before they fail. the newer systems have PV or RedLion HMIs, but they wont have any trending which will be problematic from an operational and troubleshooting standpoint.
Well, don't configure the logging options or configure to over write within 30 days. An Exor Panel or a Maple panel can do everything a redlion panel can do. (and more) or can replicate a simple dump modbus panel, they can even push data to cloud if required. Very powerful mini scada terminal all in one.

https://www.exorint.com/en/software/jmobile