wired to wireless Ethernet Connection

nmk34

Hi, I have a controllogix PLC cabinet with unmanaged Ethernet switch. I can go online by connecting to the switch via the laptop wired connection. I am wondering if I can connect to the same ;)switch let me say, from 100 feet. i can not use a long Ethernet cable for safety issues. in another words, i need to connect the LAN connector in may laptop to the PLC switch that is far over open air! How and any part number or name suggestion and where to buy?

Thank You

How scalable do you want the system to be?
If you like, you can set up a simple Netgeat router to emit a wifi signal, and connect the unmanaged switch to the netgear router. I have a R7800 that would definitely do that.
You can then connect to the wifi and your PC should have access to the local network.

Is this for temporary use while commissioning a system?

I have seen some reputable forum members post links to a simple access point device that would suffice for that type of application.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=127105

I have not used one myself, but it is one of those items I probably will get one day and wonder how in the heal I ever got by without.

Is this for temporary use while commissioning a system?

I have seen some reputable forum members post links to a simple access point device that would suffice for that type of application.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=127105

I have not used one myself, but it is one of those items I probably will get one day and wonder how in the heal I ever got by without.

Another use for the one I posted in that thread is that they'll assign the 5380 CompactLogix an IP address because the CMPX is configured for DHCP these days. So plug the wireless into it, let it assign an IP address, change it to what you want via RSLinx.

As Okie said, if this is temporary and/or you would like to be able to move it around, a travel router would be your best bet. I actually use a D-Link DAP-1530, which is sold as a wifi range extender (not a travel router), but it also functions as a wireless access point as well. I just plug it into a receptacle and then plug an Ethernet cable into the switch in the cabinet and I can then connect to the PLC or any other equipment on the switch. The catch is changing your wifi card's IP address to match the equipment's IP range, similar to what you have to do to your Ethernet card when using a hardwired connection.

EDIT: You can also use a USB wifi dongle and have that configured to connect to the access point and leave the internal wifi card set up as default (for internet connection, etc).

Last edited:
Hi, I have a controllogix PLC cabinet with unmanaged Ethernet switch. I can go online by connecting to the switch via the laptop wired connection. I am wondering if I can connect to the same ;)switch let me say, from 100 feet. i can not use a long Ethernet cable for safety issues. in another words, i need to connect the LAN connector in may laptop to the PLC switch that is far over open air! How and any part number or name suggestion and where to buy?

Thank You
For something to use on site to make life "safer" try one of these - https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mt300n-v2/ (amazon) but if you looking for a more permanent solution what about a WAGO Access point - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkARlzZYZkM or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvCA9DD4E1s

I carry around 2 cheap WiFi routers I bought on Amazon with my laptops and have had no issues with them even around an electroplating line I work on with 40 high frequency power supplies on the line. (They screw up walkie-talkie operation and the shop has a nice expensive set they can't use)

Plus I don't have to reconfigure the router for the IP range the PLC uses, just connect the laptop and set the IP of the WiFi adapter to match the PLC subnet and it goes through.

Plus I don't have to reconfigure the router for the IP range the PLC uses, just connect the laptop and set the IP of the WiFi adapter to match the PLC subnet and it goes through.

This is crucial, you essentially want the router to be transparent.

I used to carry a small wireless AP in my bag just for that.. If I needed to move around the machine, plug in AP to switch and go online.. Used another tool called NETSETMAN that has tabbed connection settings for wired and wirelss connections. I named the tabs by the machine name.. Click it and it sets all of you comm configs, like static IP's to whats needed that machine..

This is a temporary need, but I have to use it for other projects. I will look for an AP with proper range similar to the one suggested above. Thank you All for your suggestions.

when using wifi access points, please be aware of the surrounding area. there are frequency restrictions if you are near an airport. i ran into that when i designed our network where i used to work. the closer you are, the more caution you have to take in regards to the 5 ghz range.
james