PanelView 1000 Momentary PBs

phuz

It's been a long time since I played with an old PV1000. With the momentary pushbuttons, is there really no way to let you push/hold a button (ie, you can only use the "hold time")

In Panelbuilder32, the Momentary Button Hold Time should be thought of as Minimum Hold Time.

The Write Tag will be written to when the button is pressed, and change back when the button is released or the hold time is reached, whichever comes last. In other words, assume a normally open button writing to a bit, if you keep the button pressed, the tag will stay "1".

Unless it is a jog button where you want to be able to bump it very briefly, I typically set the minimum hold time at 500ms which in most cases is enough time for the communication to occur between the HMI and PLC.

In Panelbuilder32, the Momentary Button Hold Time should be thought of as Minimum Hold Time.

The Write Tag will be written to when the button is pressed, and change back when the button is released or the hold time is reached, whichever comes last. In other words, assume a normally open button writing to a bit, if you keep the button pressed, the tag will stay "1".

Unless it is a jog button where you want to be able to bump it very briefly, I typically set the minimum hold time at 500ms which in most cases is enough time for the communication to occur between the HMI and PLC.

Yeah, OK, this is what I was expecting it to do (like in a PV+), but in the PV1000 (Panelbuilder32), it releases right away and does not stay "pressed" while your finger is on the button. I wonder if it's something with the RIO.

Yeah, OK, this is what I was expecting it to do (like in a PV+), but in the PV1000 (Panelbuilder32), it releases right away and does not stay "pressed" while your finger is on the button. I wonder if it's something with the RIO.

It should wait for the Hold Time or the button to be released before changing to the OFF state even on RIO, but maybe there is an exception I have not run into before. I sure don't miss those fun days of dealing with RIO and multiple block transfers for an HMI.

I ran into an application once where the guy used 1 logical rack for hundreds of tags and use the Page Number to multiplex the data so the PLC mapped the values in and out of one small block of addresses based on the page number. That allowed him to put dozens of servo recipes in the logic and HMI without having to change the hardware.

Such a PITA to debug! There was a spot where the operator could enter a zero for velocity of an axis and the machine would promptly obey sitting there hung up with no errors. I couldn't just go in and edit the entry limits for that tag because it was used for 9 other things that needed to have 0 available as an entry limit. It took me several hours to trace it down to a spot in the PLC where I could limit check it.

It should wait for the Hold Time or the button to be released before changing to the OFF state even on RIO, but maybe there is an exception I have not run into before. I sure don't miss those fun days of dealing with RIO and multiple block transfers for an HMI.

I ran into an application once where the guy used 1 logical rack for hundreds of tags and use the Page Number to multiplex the data so the PLC mapped the values in and out of one small block of addresses based on the page number. That allowed him to put dozens of servo recipes in the logic and HMI without having to change the hardware.

Such a PITA to debug! There was a spot where the operator could enter a zero for velocity of an axis and the machine would promptly obey sitting there hung up with no errors. I couldn't just go in and edit the entry limits for that tag because it was used for 9 other things that needed to have 0 available as an entry limit. It took me several hours to trace it down to a spot in the PLC where I could limit check it.

I can work around it for now. It's more that I want to understand what the heck is happening to prevent the press & hold.

Think of a Jog PB. You can't do that. There would be nothing to "reset" it.

Yes you can, see pic

HMI controls N22:9/0. Timer holds start for 5 sec.

DN bit resets N22:9/0 because I dont trust the HMI to shut
the bit off.

hold_start.png

If there is another object in the application using that same PLC address that could explain the behavior you're seeing. I looked through the Knowbase and didn't find anything referencing this, but I did find a tech note that said the Hold Time begins when the operator releases the button.

Depending on the situation, you still may want to put a time limit on the jog operation in the PLC code once you get it working.

If there is another object in the application using that same PLC address that could explain the behavior you're seeing. I looked through the Knowbase and didn't find anything referencing this, but I did find a tech note that said the Hold Time begins when the operator releases the button.

Depending on the situation, you still may want to put a time limit on the jog operation in the PLC code once you get it working.

No other objects using that tag. Very weird.

And what is the white box that shows here in Panelbuilder32? I don't recall this before.

And FWIW, none of these buttons will "press & hold" as they should. I don't see any settings in Panelbuilder that would prevent this.

Untitled.png Untitled1.png Untitled2.png Untitled3.png

The white box is a marker for where the Alarm Banner will appear. I think it only shows up if your application has the Alarm Banner set to pop-up automatically. It is shown in the editor so you know what objects on any screen will be covered up by it when it is activated.