OT: Crimp tool for wiremount mini sockets

the_msp

Lifetime Supporting Member
I crimped a cable with this (attached) connector back a few years, but the company it was going into had the tool. Could someone please advise what I need?

I've done quite a few of these. I usually get it started back and forth with a plastic screwdriver handle until the points are through then squeeze the parts together with pliers. If you're looking for a real tool, search for "IDC ribbon crimp tool."

I think they are called 'ribbon cable insulation displacement connector tool' or 'idc tool'. Do a web search for 'ribbon cable idc tool', you can find them at RS. You do need the grip of a weight lifter to make them work, which is why I also go for the bench vice option :)

Yeah I was considering a vice or whack it with a hammer as a last resort :)
1. Always use the right tool for the job
2. A hammer is always the right tool for the job
3. You can use almost anything as a hammer