SLC 5/04 Communications

jthornton

It should be easy but for some reason I can't get online with a 5/04 on port 0.

A power outage killed the PV600 on the loader for 1/3 of the factory so we found a PV+600 and imported the pv file into FactoryTalk and created the run time file. Loaded that up into the PV+600 but no communications over the RS232 on port 0. So I started trying to communicate with the 5/04 with my laptop. Auto configure fails for both RS232 and DH485. If someone configured the port for ASCII is there a way to connect and change back to R232?

The PV600 was connected to the upper port 1 DH+ if that makes a difference... hmm does the PV have the communication information stored in it?

Is there any way to communicate with the 5/04 over DH+ and perhaps copy the program off and put a new/used 5/04 in and get them running? I have a 5/04 setup with a few I/O cards on a small back plane.

Thanks
JT

What is the configuration for the RS232 port? DF1 or DH485? (look in a copy of the program)

Describe the exact cables you are using.

If the port is configured for DF1, then you need a USB-Serial and a null modem cable.

If the port is configured for DH485, you need a cable like the 1747-UIC and a null modem cable.

We don't have a copy of the program and that is part of the problem.

I've tried a keyspan usb to serial with a 1747-CP3 a uic and 1747-CF3 on both RS232 and DH485.

I came home and plugged my keyspan with null modem (1747-CP3) cable to a SLC 5/04 I have and created a new Rs232 and clicked auto configure and after a second it's done and communicating.

Thanks again for your Python program pylogix to communicate with compact logix. It has been working on three vibratory welders for quite some time.

JT

Last edited:
We don't have a copy of the program and that is part of the problem.
I've tried a keyspan usb to serial with a 1747-CP3 a uic and 1747-CF3 on both RS232 and DH485.

I came home and plugged my keyspan with null modem (1747-CP3) cable to a SLC 5/04 I have and created a new Rs232 and clicked auto configure and after a second it's done and communicating.

Thanks again for your Python program pylogix to communicate with compact logix. It has been working on three vibratory welder for quite some time.

JT

Are you using the same computer in both cases? I think there is something funky that needed to be done when using a 64 bit operating system. I have this picture I saved, which I think came from geniusintraining. It showed on the RS232 configuration, choose device 1770-KF3/KE, CRC error checking (do not autoconfigure). Maybe he (or someone else) will remember this. It has been a while for me.

Nice to hear you found pylogix useful!

Are you using the same computer in both cases? I think there is something funky that needed to be done when using a 64 bit operating system. I have this picture I saved, which I think came from geniusintraining. It showed on the RS232 configuration, choose device 1770-KF3/KE, CRC error checking (do not autoconfigure). Maybe he (or someone else) will remember this. It has been a while for me.

Nice to hear you found pylogix useful!

Well actually when I got home I used my old XP laptop on my 5/04 so I'll bring that with me tomorrow and try that.

It was pretty cool I just selected the correct com port and selected auto configure and bam it was done.

My notes on some AB say not to use auto configure but I watched a video today and all he did was select the com port and clicked on auto configure.

JT

it could be that the port is bad.
we had a power outage and when power was restored, the comms port did not work. we had a spare, downloaded the program and everything worked.
we sent the unit to teamsesco for repair and its working also.
james

a few things if the original PanelView 600 as plugged into channel 0 (RS23 / DH485 )
and the replacement is plugged into Channel 1 (DH+) they are completely different
and not interchangeable
the program was originally set to read and write through channel 0 (DH485) to the Panelview there is a complete set of code to do that in the program
For you no read and write through Channel 1 (DH+) you need to modify the ladder code
and set up both the SCL and Panelview for that
you need to have the original model Panelview with the original communication type also you need to be sure you have the same NODE address

if you just want to upload the program using a 1747-UIC
while i have never done it this way the manual shows it connected that way it is worth a try if you have the 1747-UIC
good luck

Brought my old laptop down and plugged in the same keyspan and 1747-cp3 cable and selected the com port and auto configure and bam I'm in... connected the previous laptop did the same thing and bam I'm in...

Dunno what was the deal.

JT

a few things if the original PanelView 600 as plugged into channel 0 (RS23 / DH485 )
and the replacement is plugged into Channel 1 (DH+) they are completely different
and not interchangeable
the program was originally set to read and write through channel 0 (DH485) to the Panelview there is a complete set of code to do that in the program
For you no read and write through Channel 1 (DH+) you need to modify the ladder code
and set up both the SCL and Panelview for that
you need to have the original model Panelview with the original communication type also you need to be sure you have the same NODE address

if you just want to upload the program using a 1747-UIC
while i have never done it this way the manual shows it connected that way it is worth a try if you have the 1747-UIC
good luck

Actually it is the other way around the PV600 was using DH+ and the replacement PV+600 is using RS-232.

JT

if your original Panelview was connected over DH+ then you must replace it with the same communication. The processor writes to them differently. the Panelview dos not read the data from the processor the processor writes to the PanelView
The SLC 5/04 is master on both networks
you may be better off changing the processor to a 5/05 it has ethernet, then get an ethernet PanelView they are easier to get and the communication are easier to setup
the programs are the same except for the communications

if your original Panelview was connected over DH+ then you must replace it with the same communication. The processor writes to them differently. the Panelview dos not read the data from the processor the processor writes to the PanelView
you may be better off changing the processor to a 5/05 it has ethernet, then get an ethernet PanelView they are easier to get and the communication are easier to setup
the programs are the same except for the communications

Thanks, I happen to have a SLC 5/05 in inventory and the PV+600 has ethernet.

JT

Last edited:

This does not sound right, but I'm not a PV+ user.

Can someone check in and correct me?