PLC-5/11Processor-Program on CD has an extension of .RSP What is the best way to open

Good Evening . I visited a pump station sight today that has a PLC-5/11 CPU. I was given a CD with only a file with a program and extension of PENMAR.RSP.

The only thing that opens up is this.........

Disc 1 (080919_1245_1)
- PENMAR.RSP

Could you guys please give me some thoughts , on how this file opens ?

I never seen an extension like this. What is the purpose of this extension , and
what software would be needed to open this up ?

Thanks so much for your help.

The *.RSP extension is the project file for an RSLogix 5 project for a PLC-5 family controller.

Other older PLC-5 software used a large number of separate files with different file extensions. But RSLogix 5 compressed it all into one project file: the *.RSP contains the ladder logic, controller configuration, data table contents, rung and address comments, etc.

If you don't already have RSLogix 5 or a full scope Rockwell Software toolkit license, get ready for a little sticker shock.

The PLC-5/11 is the smallest of the "Enhanced" PLC-5 controllers. It has the usual 25-pin RS-232 Channel 0 serial port, and just one configurable port that can be set up for DH+ network or RIO Scanner modes.

Last edited:
Thanks Gentlemen . I will zip and attach tomorrow. One more question, there is a conversion tool in Rockwell Software , correct ? Is there a way I can just place that file , in the conversion tool , and do a conversion without having RS Logix 5 ?

Thanks again .

The "Project Migrator" tool was intended to work with any legacy PLC-5 software (6200-PLC5 and AI-5 and RSLogix 5, maybe even TOPDOC) so it required you to export text format files that those packages had in common instead of extracting the PLC-5 program natively from an *.RSP file.

The user guide for PLC/SLC migration (1756-RM085) says you need a *.PC5 logic file, and *.TXT comments files.

If one of our PLCTalk colleagues has RSLogix 5 and can do a printout for you, have them export those text files as well.

If you're doing a PLC-5 migration, in my opinion it's best to have the PLC-5 software so you can examine logic that's still in operation to be sure you know how it works in the existing system before duplicating the functionality in the new controller.

The indirect addressing and pointer tricks that programmers used in the PLC-2/3/5 era to conserve memory can end up being a giant pain the butt when you migrate them to ControlLogix using those automated tools. And I've definitely benefitted from monitoring PID instructions in their current operating system and controller load conditions before migrating them into a faster and different controller.

Good Morning ,

Attached are the 2) PLC-5/11 program files. I thank you so much for your willingness to convert these and your helpful advice.

You guys have a great day.

What is it you want to do? What is the end goal? Do you just need the printout so you can see the logic, or are you trying to convert to a newer PLC? If so, what PLC, and do you own THAT software?

OG

Thank you so much . The only way I can pay you is by becoming a member , and helping others where I can . I do speak , and recruit from local vocational schools to get some young folks into our field , that has been the best career decision I have ever made 34 years ago .

Thanks again ,

In the off chance that you do have the software to perform any kind of conversion, here are the files you should need to successfully complete a conversion. I don't see any indirect addressing in these files, but I only gave them a quick glance. The block transfers could be tricky. Also remember that Studio 5000 only uses ms for timers, and the PLC5 files have timers with a time base of 1 second. The conversion tool should point all of this out to you. Good luck.

Good Morning MikeyN and others ,

MikeyN , thanks so much . So the Translate PLC-5/SLC 2.0 asks for the
.PC5 library file database to be exported to 6200 format (.TXT) before continuing . I imagine I still need RS Logix 5 to do this, correct ?

Thanks again ,

Baker In Virginia, I thought I had included those, but I guess I missed them. Here are the txt files.