Memobus with controlLogix?

rockemsockem

Hello,
I am working on a system to control a spindle using a Yaskawa GA500, which uses Memobus. I have an AB ControlLogix PLC with the 5069-Serial module, and after a bit of this: o_O realized that MODBUS and Memobus are not the same. If you can't tell, I'm very new to this.

From what I can tell, the function codes for Memobus are not available for the MODBUS commands that you can set up for the 5069-Serial. I thought maybe Generic ASCII but the GA500 communicates through RTU and I do not know enough to know if that's even worth pursuing.

Is there a way to use the 5069-Serial to communicate with the VFD as is or are we going to need to get a communications option card?

EDIT: CompactLogix, not ControlLogix

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the serial communications but I just finished using a bunch of these and I used the Ethernet/IP option module (SI-EN3). If you do use this module make sure you order the carrier to go with it (JOHB-GA50).

The GA500 uses Memobus/Modbus RTU by default, which is Yaskawa's own version of modbus. Among other things, it has different function codes to regular MODBUS, though it communicates the same way as RTU.

Right now I'm mainly trying to see if we can get this done without changing any of the hardware, though when it comes down to it I'll do what I have to.

Save yourself some trouble and just get the SI-EN3 card. Great ethernet I/P AOIs are available and you will spend more money in time by trying to work around using it. If you are doing spindle control, don't you need feedback? The GA500 does not support an encoder interface.

That does seem to be the way we'll be going, or just the control circuit.

I'm not too sure, I'm not really knowledgeable on that kind of stuff. It was recommended for our application by the vendor, and it isn't a closed loop system or anything like that.