You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old February 7th, 2022, 12:58 PM   #31
mad4x4
United Kingdom

I'm going to throw my oar in on this one...

I have 3 options
  1. Jmobile - Panel with CodeSYS from Exor https://www.exorint.com/en/product/ex710
  2. Siemens S71200 Starter Kit
  3. An ACE PLC from WWW.Velocio.net
  4. Beckhoff or WAGO cheap or free software lots of IO. Bit more complex to program

Each of the above has its own advantages, For Industrial I would go option (1) (2) or (4) for Hobby possibly (3)

I would avoid Allen Bradley especially control logic and compact Logix you'll need 2K-4K for Software before you start...and IO is expensive compared to some.

1) Jmobile, These are actually panel displays that can communicate with IO and have an integrated CODESYS PLC. A 15" display will cost about 2000GBP, but will give you a good HMI and powerful PLC.
2) Can't go wrong with the siemens starter Kit Couple 100 GBP and you get a PLC with some IO and a Small Screen + software
3) the UnderDog... A Very Cheap PLC with simple IO ideal for a very simple project that is a bit more complex than just a LOGO PLC. (Siemens) . Will support modbus so sure you can hook up a display to them. If its just a few relays and inputs, this might do the trick. 200-300 GPB will get you lots of IO and some analog inputs.

FOr hoby you could also go Raspberry PI running CODESYS.....

Last edited by mad4x4; February 7th, 2022 at 01:08 PM.
Old February 7th, 2022, 02:34 PM   #32
gclshortt
Canada

Your choice of a BRX Do-More is a good one. You can also combine this with a raspberry pi running Node-Red for the HMI.
https://accautomation.ca/series/brx-do-more-plc/
https://accautomation.ca/series/node...ling-software/
Communication to the BRX PLC could happen through Modbus TCP or HTTP.
https://accautomation.ca/do-more-plc...-http-request/
Regards,
Old February 25th, 2022, 04:09 AM   #33
Darran SDUK
United Kingdom

Take a look at these low cost IoT PLCs!
Old February 25th, 2022, 11:55 AM   #34
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Do-More is more complex in capability and programmability. Click Plus is much simpler for a beginner and we have found them to be quite reliable. I like both products, and we have some recent experience setting up MQTT with a Click Plus using Ubidots for a cloud based HMI.

Due to some limitations in both Ubidots and the Click Plus there was a slight learning curve and a lot of experimentation to get two Clicks to talk to each other through MQTT and have Ubidots in the middle and handle all the different possible causes of a loss of connectivity. Our application was probably simpler than yours as far as PLC control but made more complex by the fact we are using a 3rd party cell modem and 3rd party cloud MQTT broker/HMI in order to get two PLCs to talk to each other where there's a small mountain in between.

I wouldn't rule out the Click Plus especially for a beginner.
Old February 26th, 2022, 11:02 AM   #35
mrkvak
Czech_Republic

How about Arduino. If I am correct there was some PLC like Arduino concept. Everything is generally open and free (regarding the SW).

From my point of view go to Siemens S7-1200. I worked as PLC programmer last 11 years, mostly with AB and Siemens, bit of Omron and some others. For me the Siemens is the best, most advanced and most reliable. AB in compare with Siemens looks like some school project for me. TIA Portal is for me the best automation tool even if hate some things in TIA.

I do not think Siemens is complicated to learn. Programming is still programming and LAD, FBD, SCL is generally same for all brands. Difference is in environment. Also with TIA Portal you can run HMI runtime on ordinary PC computer also there is fully working simulator of PLC. So even if you do not have hardware you can program fully working system with possiblity to test functions.
Old February 26th, 2022, 12:52 PM   #36
Skidood
Canada

You can save a little money and get better reliability if you use thermocouples instead of RTDs. For this application, RTDs are overkill.
Old March 28th, 2022, 10:11 AM   #37
Jackllx
Lifetime Supporting Member
United Kingdom

Do a proper job and get an S7-1200.
Old March 28th, 2022, 10:28 AM   #38
mad4x4
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkvak View Post
How about Arduino. If I am correct there was some PLC like Arduino concept. Everything is generally open and free (regarding the SW).

From my point of view go to Siemens S7-1200. I worked as PLC programmer last 11 years, mostly with AB and Siemens, bit of Omron and some others. For me the Siemens is the best, most advanced and most reliable. AB in compare with Siemens looks like some school project for me. TIA Portal is for me the best automation tool even if hate some things in TIA.

I do not think Siemens is complicated to learn. Programming is still programming and LAD, FBD, SCL is generally same for all brands. Difference is in environment. Also with TIA Portal you can run HMI runtime on ordinary PC computer also there is fully working simulator of PLC. So even if you do not have hardware you can program fully working system with possiblity to test functions.
Arduino is powerful but unless you are a "C++" developer very complex, although there are loads of free tutorials, also without relays and wiring your stuck at +3.3v or +5V control levels.

Small cheap PLC is more suitable
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum