You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old December 2nd, 2021, 11:52 AM   #16
kolyur
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperMP View Post
Inno Setup - freeware (https://jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php). Use to create software installation package for software you make and distribute yourself.
+1 for Inno Setup. This is great if you have to send files to people and they have to be put in specific locations, particularly if the recipients aren't very computer savvy.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 02:25 PM   #17
saultgeorge
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I don't know that I would consider these apps "Obscure", however I did a job for an OEM this year and they had Excel tools for just about anything. The 2 I used the most were a Hirschmann switch configuration tool and another Excel tool that would completely create a V. 32.02 program with HMI logic, conveyors, footprints (stations) all the data logic, tags, AOI's UDT's--everything. It was really cool. You just selected a processor from dropdowns, chassis size, conveyor, how many stations and I/O blocks and BOOM! you had a program. I was sitting messing with a traffic light program I wrote just to keep my navigation skills sharp.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 03:01 PM   #18
busarider29
United States

789 Process Meter. All the functionality of a high quality multi-meter, with the added functionality of sourcing 0-20mA to a PLC input, etc. Maybe this isn't "obscure" tool, but I don't see many of them around. I use mine quite frequently for the 0-20mA sourcing function. I lend it out a LOT to our maintenance guys.

Knipex Universal stripping tool, Part# 16 95 01
Great for stripping off the insulation of cables. Note: It does not work well, or at all, for small diameter cables (< ~6mm diameter). But anything larger than that, it's a must have. Has added functionality for stripping wires, etc, but I use it exclusively for stripping insulation and/or disassembling of cables.

Old December 2nd, 2021, 03:35 PM   #19
mylespetro
Supporting Member
Canada

Probably not obscure at this point, but the Knipex Pliers Wrench is insanely handy, great replacement for an adjustable wrench. For those who don't know about them, the jaws open parallel instead of opening like a pair of Channel Locks, and they have smooth jaws so they don't mar surfaces. They also have an 11:1 mechanical advantage so the jaws grip much harder than you have to squeeze. Great for instrument techs working on Swagelok fittings.

Old December 2nd, 2021, 03:42 PM   #20
busarider29
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylespetro View Post
Probably not obscure at this point, but the Knipex Pliers Wrench is insanely handy, great replacement for an adjustable wrench. For those who don't know about them, the jaws open parallel instead of opening like a pair of Channel Locks, and they have smooth jaws so they don't mar surfaces. They also have an 11:1 mechanical advantage so the jaws grip much harder than you have to squeeze. Great for instrument techs working on Swagelok fittings.
Looks very handy! Knipex makes great tools! Love their stuff.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 05:39 PM   #21
ojz0r
Sweden

Obscure and obscure..
Even though i have MS Office i tend to use LibreOffice quite alot, especially Calc and Draw. Calc for example has a better csv file handling than Excel imo. And Draw is fantastic to draw quick flow charts, P&ID's, making graphical pdf documents, just to name a few.
The real stand out feature in Draw is the ability to open PDF documents and edit them, for example old circuit diagrams where native DWG's are not available (not scanned though afaik sadly).

Hardware wise i love my Leatherman Supertool 200 when i dont have access to the whole array of ordinary tools.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 07:12 PM   #22
JLand
United States

Wireshark (already been mentioned).

Advanced IP Scanner (useful because it returns MAC addresses) or AngryIP Scanner (more obvious which IPs are open and which are not) for scanning a whole range of addresses.

Greenshot (already been mentioned).

SharpKeys to map right alt key to insert. This way I can work on any customer's dev environment and not setting up hotkeys in Logix Designer is less annoying. Just hit right alt and type the instruction. Anyone who works on a lot of customer's dev machines for Rockwell PLCs, this is a huge QOL boost.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 07:23 PM   #23
NetNathan
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLand View Post
Wireshark (already been mentioned).

Advanced IP Scanner (useful because it returns MAC addresses) or AngryIP Scanner (more obvious which IPs are open and which are not) for scanning a whole range of addresses.

Greenshot (already been mentioned).

SharpKeys to map right alt key to insert. This way I can work on any customer's dev environment and not setting up hotkeys in Logix Designer is less annoying. Just hit right alt and type the instruction. Anyone who works on a lot of customer's dev machines for Rockwell PLCs, this is a huge QOL boost.
I used to use Angry IP Scanner quite a bit..
Now I am sold on Slitheris Network Scanner by Komodo labs..
You will be stunned at the data it returns. Free for less than 50 devices, but I never had it care if I scanned more than 50 devices.

https://www.komodolabs.com/ip-scanner/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8vHhgh6oM0&t=2s
Old December 2nd, 2021, 07:34 PM   #24
JLand
United States

Thanks Nathan, I'll check that out.

For me, AngryIP still is mega useful to scan entire networks to find potentially open IPs. It's great for customers who want to add some Ethernet devices but their documentation is non-existent.
Old December 3rd, 2021, 04:38 AM   #25
rkicklighter
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetNathan View Post
I used to use Angry IP Scanner quite a bit..
Now I am sold on Slitheris Network Scanner by Komodo labs..
You will be stunned at the data it returns. Free for less than 50 devices, but I never had it care if I scanned more than 50 devices.

https://www.komodolabs.com/ip-scanner/
I will second Slitheris Network Scanner! Having used Advanced IPS and Angry IP for years I was introduced to Slitheris about 3 years ago and have never looked back. It's one of those tools that just works well....
Old December 3rd, 2021, 05:01 AM   #26
JesperMP
Denmark

Not sure if the functionality overlaps with the aforementioned IP scanners, but I use Siemens Proneta a bit (https://support.industry.siemens.com.../view/67460624) and it is free in the basic version.

edit: It is intended for Profinet, but will also find non-Profinet devices.
Also: ᛁᚠ ᚢᚬᚢ ᚴᚬᚾ ᚱᛅᚬᛏ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚦᛅᚾ ᚢᚬᚢ ᚼᚬᚠᛅ ᚴᚬᛁᚾᛅᛏ ᛘᚢ ᚱᛅᛋᛒᛅᚴᛏ

Last edited by JesperMP; December 3rd, 2021 at 05:03 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2021, 07:21 AM   #27
JesperMP
Denmark

I am looking for something.
Anyone know a brand/type of a multikey for opening diverse types of electrical enclosures ? You know the ubiquitous (Rittal ?) type but also with square, triangle inner, triangle outer, ...
I keep losing mine. I need to get a good one and then attach it to a chain.
Old December 3rd, 2021, 07:41 AM   #28
MickeMex
Sweden

Quote:
I am looking for something.
Anyone know a brand/type of a multikey for opening diverse types of electrical enclosures ? You know the ubiquitous (Rittal ?) type but also with square, triangle inner, triangle outer, ...
I keep losing mine. I need to get a good one and then attach it to a chain.
Like these ?:
https://www.knipex.com/products/control-cabinet-key
Old December 3rd, 2021, 07:58 AM   #29
JesperMP
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeMex View Post
Thanks !

I spent half an hour browsing on our suppliers web portal with no luck.
Search for "00 11 01 KNIPEX", and there you go. I will get one for myself and for my closest colleague as a christmas present.

Last edited by JesperMP; December 3rd, 2021 at 08:03 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2021, 08:21 AM   #30
mylespetro
Supporting Member
Canada

Quote:
Thanks !

I spent half an hour browsing on our suppliers web portal with no luck.
Search for "00 11 01 KNIPEX", and there you go. I will get one for myself and for my closest colleague as a christmas present.
I've been thinking about grabbing one of these for a couple of years now, they look pretty neat.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum