Finding Unknown IP Address

Chub Toad

Hi everyone,
Just joined the site today, glad to see there is a forum for PLC guys. So we build robot welding cells and ship them to customers where I work. Up until now, I've only worked on cells that have been built and already have code downloaded to the PLC. This particular project is being built and is now ready for the Logix5000 program to be downloaded. Problem is, I've never had to find/set up an unknown PLC IP address, I've always just had to plug in with a known address. Easy. But now I'm having a little difficulty figuring out how to find/set it up. I've tried looking in RSLinx to see if anything shows up in RSWho, but only the processors I've connected to before with this driver show up. I've also tried using various driver configurations/addresses to see if that changed anything, which is really like trying to find the hay in a needle stack. Oh, I'm using a USB-Ethernet converter and plugging into the switch inside the panel box which goes to an A-B CompactLogix L16ER PLC. I have heard that there is a way to find the address using a serial cable and DF-1 driver, but I currently don't have that cable/driver on me. Is there a way I can find the IP address with my Ethernet cable? Thank you, and I apologize if this has been asked already. I looked around on the site and found some similar questions asked, but they pretty much mention the serial/DF-1 method. Thanks again, and if someone has a link to a thread where this is asked/answered, that will work too.

I haven't tried it with a VM, but it shouldn't make any difference f the VM's comms networking is properly configured; SystemFerret will also run on Windows Vista or Win7 machines.

Try the Rockwell link and download it in Win7; I've just inadvertently downloaded it on mine; VMWare Player is a bit iffy; try running the Ferret from the Host OS.

You don't need the System Ferret: this is a much more ordinary issue and should be even easier than with previous ControlLogix controllers.

The 1769-L16ER controller has a USB port right on the front.

RSLinx Classic software (you need version 2.59 for the -L16ER) will automatically create a USB CIP driver when it detects that the controller has been connected to the computer.

You can then browse to the controller's Ethernet port and get or set its IP address by right-clicking and selecting Module Properties, then the Port Configuration tab.

The only tricky part here is making sure the 1769-L16ER connects to the virtual machine over USB. In VMWare Player, you select VM -> Removable Devices and choose to connect the one that looks like it represents the CompactLogix (I don't have one handy to see the exact name).

You can approach this from a pure Ethernet standpoint as well, but it's trickier because of the VMWare layer, and I don't know how familiar you are with TCP/IP and BOOTP/DHCP protocols.

You don't need the System Ferret: this is a much more ordinary issue and should be even easier than with previous ControlLogix controllers.

The 1769-L16ER controller has a USB port right on the front.

RSLinx Classic software (you need version 2.59 for the -L16ER) will automatically create a USB CIP driver when it detects that the controller has been connected to the computer.

You can then browse to the controller's Ethernet port and get or set its IP address by right-clicking and selecting Module Properties, then the Port Configuration tab.

The only tricky part here is making sure the 1769-L16ER connects to the virtual machine over USB. In VMWare Player, you select VM -> Removable Devices and choose to connect the one that looks like it represents the CompactLogix (I don't have one handy to see the exact name).

You can approach this from a pure Ethernet standpoint as well, but it's trickier because of the VMWare layer, and I don't know how familiar you are with TCP/IP and BOOTP/DHCP protocols.
This is exactly what I did. I didn't use that Ferret, I never got it to work. Well, I didn't really try after I downloaded it lol. I just used the BOOTP/DHCP to set up the IP address like you said. You're right, it's very simple if you know what you're doing haha. Kinda feel like a dolt having asked about this since it is so simple, but your guys' support is much appreciated. :) I've only been with this company for 4 months so I'm still gaining experience, and it's night and day difference from where I worked before (automotive;)).

Don't download anything, ever, from "Software-Informer.com". It is a hive of scum and villainy.

System Ferret is available from RA Technical Support. It is a CIP discovery tool that works best on complex ControlNet, ControlLogix, POINT I/O or DeviceNet networks. It is not a general-purpose Ethernet discovery tool.

Don't download anything, ever, from "Software-Informer.com". It is a hive of scum and villainy.

System Ferret is available from RA Technical Support. It is a CIP discovery tool that works best on complex ControlNet, ControlLogix, POINT I/O or DeviceNet networks. It is not a general-purpose Ethernet discovery tool.
Thanks for the heads up!

Try Komodo Labs "Slitheris Network Discovery" ...
You will be surprised at the information it pulls

Free for up to 50 devices... but it does not care.