1734-IB8S - Reset Ownership not working

JGolden

Hello all - Preface: This is my first time working with these modules and Studio5000.

I have a 1734-AENT/C setup in slot order of 1-IB8S, 2-IB8S, 3-OB8S, 4-IB8S connected to a 1769-L36ERMS processor. The RIO handles emergency stop circuits, light curtains, etc.

The issue I'm seeing is random estop faults on our HMI. I used some counters to monitor the various estop inputs which are all on slots 1 and 2 and found slot 2 has 2 inputs that randomly turn off. Physically I cannot find an issue in hardware or wiring. To troubleshoot I bypassed all hardware and put jumpers in the modules and was still getting random faults for the same inputs. We also have random issues where slot 2 goes into a major fault for communication loss and we have to reset power to the AENT to clear it.

Repair attempts - we tried swapping out the base/backplane connectors for this module, still faulting.

Now I am trying to replace the module itself and this is what I'm getting. MS light flashes red at power up. In module properties ->safety tab, click reset ownership, the NS light comes on but MS stays blinking red. Configuration Ownership states Not Owned and Status still shows Faulted. I've tried inhibiting the module first and then resetting ownership as well.

The processor safety configuration is "Configure only when no safety signature exists". Safety Application is unlocked.

I have tried 2 separate modules now with the same results so I think I'm missing something here...

I had a fairly similar issue with a 1734-AENTR and had to replace it with a new 1734-AENT (no AENTR was available and the second port on the AENTR was not in use).

Much like you described, I was seeing random Estops. Replacing the AENTR solved it for me.

Good luck.
Steve.

Hello all - Preface: This is my first time working with these modules and Studio5000.

I have a 1734-AENT/C setup in slot order of 1-IB8S, 2-IB8S, 3-OB8S, 4-IB8S connected to a 1769-L36ERMS processor. The RIO handles emergency stop circuits, light curtains, etc.

The issue I'm seeing is random estop faults on our HMI. I used some counters to monitor the various estop inputs which are all on slots 1 and 2 and found slot 2 has 2 inputs that randomly turn off. Physically I cannot find an issue in hardware or wiring. To troubleshoot I bypassed all hardware and put jumpers in the modules and was still getting random faults for the same inputs. We also have random issues where slot 2 goes into a major fault for communication loss and we have to reset power to the AENT to clear it.

Repair attempts - we tried swapping out the base/backplane connectors for this module, still faulting.

Now I am trying to replace the module itself and this is what I'm getting. MS light flashes red at power up. In module properties ->safety tab, click reset ownership, the NS light comes on but MS stays blinking red. Configuration Ownership states Not Owned and Status still shows Faulted. I've tried inhibiting the module first and then resetting ownership as well.

The processor safety configuration is "Configure only when no safety signature exists". Safety Application is unlocked.

I have tried 2 separate modules now with the same results so I think I'm missing something here...

***Technote labeled Everyone***
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1135177/loc/en_US#__highlight

maybe... maybe not considering you've tried replacing it already.

Description
A potential anomaly that exists with Allen-Bradley POINT Guard I/O 1734-IB8S/B and 1734-IB8SK/B modules that may exhibit an intermittent connection fault. If the anomaly occurs, the result will be as follows:
Module fault 16#0010 mode or state of module does not allow object to perform requested service
Module fault 16#0203 connection timed out
Safety instruction will fault with a #0020 (The Input Status input transitioned from ON (1) to OFF (0) while the instruction was executing)
If a module exhibits intermittent connection anomalies, see the Knowledgebase Answer IDs below to rule out other possible causes:
BF12038 - 1734-AENT, 1734-IB8S, 1734-OB8S: Error 16#0010
Note: 1734-AENT and 1734-OB8S modules are not impacted.
QA15714 - Troubleshooting POINT Guard I/O module 16#0203 faults

Update: So the replacement modules were revision 2.002 but the original was 2.003. Made the change and downloaded and it came right on no problems. I'm leaving my code in it though to monitor and see if the faults are still occurring and will update if it does.