[1420] Worst Kept Secret in Security… It’s All Keyed Alike

Posted just because it's has an Allen Bradley keyed selector switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeFevEGoPF0

LockPickingLawyer

Vaguely related, but I always found it funny that the key for the RUN/REM/PROG switch is the same across processors as well. I understand why this is, it's not really for hardcore security, just to keep people from fooling around with the switch in operation, but I still find it funny anyways.

EDIT: And I also just noticed one of the comments on the video:

"Shizuo Heiwajima
3 hours ago (edited)
In fairness, I'll bet the concern for the industrial lock is safety not security, in which case picking is less the concern and probably something more like the operator being able to enter the machine for maitenence without having to worry about somebody turning the machine on"

While I don't really agree with this, because it's not proper LOTO procedure, I'm thinking it's less about security (at a high level anyways) and more about requiring an intentional action to turn the switch or something along those lines.

Last edited:
For decades my keyring has included a Logix/SLC key, a PLC-2/3/5 key, and a "Pollak" key for Yale/Hyster forklifts.

For decades my keyring has included a Logix/SLC key, a PLC-2/3/5 key, and a "Pollak" key for Yale/Hyster forklifts.

I literally just carried a lockpick set like the LPL has on his bag. It was small enough to fit with my multitool, and i could open any number of cabinets and boxes that had controls in them that nobody could find the key for (imagine that).

you do weird things when you get annoyed at people losing keys to important boxes with the controls inside.

side note: I did have that same hyster key on me too... the little stamped steel with a slot on the end and a nib on it.... you never know when you needed a forklift and some guy decided to walk away with the keys.

I just found out on a recent trip that the Fanuc Auto / Manual key is the same as some of the locks like those as well....

Yep, thats been on my key ring for a decade now. Not really a safety thing I guess, just keeps people from fooling around. Though they can do the exact same harm by changing the switch on the teach pendant.

Construction and Ag equipment are all keyed alike (within their respective brands, although some brands end up with similar keys).

Recently immobilizers, keycode access and telemetry geofences have started to gain speed but for years anyone with a key could get in and go. Although many did use a unique padlock on the battery disconnect.

Last edited: