Rockwell Software Stinks

Tonk

So for the umpteen time after another Fatal Error on trying to start RS5000 having to uninstall and reload!!! All I can say is Rockwell's Software is Junk. I even think Mitsubishi PLC software is way better than Rockwell Come to think of anybodies. High price for a **** product!!! Hardware included!!!

V18,19,20 etc. Gotta say Studio is not any better so much for integrated technology. Single platform still opens up 2 different software packages and you have to make sure your ether online or offline to sync piece of junk. Gotta say safety product way to expensive and way behind the times. HMI well last one I saw was in a skip best place for it!!!

Studio 5000 is most definitely better. I still agree, the software has bugs and it's way overpriced, but it's one of the best out there. Arguably Siemens is close to it, Mitsubishi though, that's funny.

If you want help solving the problem, post the details on the fatal error.

In the meantime, set windows UAC to the minimum setting, next step, run as administrator.

I’m curious on your take with regards to Mitsubihi's software.
I think Mitsubishi software is horrible. There is too much switching between the keyboard and mouse. I could design a much more programmer friendly interface. There is no MSG block. I have written an MSG block look alike using the sockets commands.

A problem I have had with complicated software is being able to start with a clean system. I recently had problems installing python310. I kept getting odd errors some were referencing python39 paths. I had uninstalled python39 before installing python310. The problem is there is still python39 stuff in the registry and path. I had to clear out everything referencing version 39, reboot and then install python310.

I also have a similar problem with my MacPro because of the recent OS upgrade. It is easier to completely remove macports and start clean with an new installation of MacPorts.

Sometimes it is best to start over. That is why VMs are so nice.

I'm surprised that people do not like Mitsubishi, coms is easy the only problems are as follows:
Documentation is what I call Chinenglish so the translation is rather poor, but once you get used to it it's decipherable, well almost.
Because they have made their later IDE's backward compatible it does mean you need to understand the reason behind using both symbolic & physical addresses (not going into that one), Ladder is a little awkward but no worse than any other platform, FBD is great, the ability to manipulate bits/words etc. by giving same memories a different symbol and type (providing it is a global & physical address) makes many memory manipulation very easy.
The in-built library of functions is comprehensive. Hardware extremely reliable, reasonable cost as is the software. The IDE runs pretty quick even on older PC's .
Siemens I liked the S5 & earlier S7, however, when TIA came out installing took ages, a couple of bugs where it would fall over at a critical point, RA ok like some of the features, however, the cost, the strong arm tactics of tech connect & incessant need to update firmware /software really got to me.
Other platforms I have used yeah, ok.
To sum it up a lot depends on your exposure to these platforms, the more you use them the easier they become to use (well there are a few exceptions).

To sum it up a lot depends on your exposure to these platforms, the more you use them the easier they become to use (well there are a few exceptions).

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

Often, it's the very first system that one get used to.

I had a human factor engineer tell me to be skeptical of interviewing operators on how they like to see the control layout. They often get used to the very worst layout but got used to it and now think it's the best.

I see that same theme in this forum a lot too :)

So for the umpteen time after another Fatal Error on trying to start RS5000 having to uninstall and reload!!! All I can say is Rockwell's Software is Junk. I even think Mitsubishi PLC software is way better than Rockwell Come to think of anybodies. High price for a **** product!!! Hardware included!!!

Was working with AB for a couple of years, couldn't agree more. And should we start the discussion about their licensing? The biggest support cases to AB support in UK was Licensing and Firmware

me.jpg

I used to work for an edible oil company. They have lots of plcs with rs5000 and studio 5000.
In order to avoid those problems we have only two versions V20.04 and the latest one V32.
Al the plcs were suitable for this two versions so all my technicians and engineers had to deal only with two versions. If the PLC was to old we change the cpu to be compatible with these two versions.
As you know we had to clean everything due to regulations and we took advantage and change versions when necessary , we had about 80 plcs.