Kinetix 5100 Advice

tim_callinan

Im teaching mechatronics in a community college. We were advised to get into Servo drives and the 5100. We downloaded and ran KNX5100C and it seems extremely complicated. I was hoping it would be easier to program positions, speeds, forward and reverse - basic stuff like a VFD. Does anyone know another Allen Bradley software we could program the servos with?
Any advice is defo appreciated.
Tim

Im teaching mechatronics in a community college. We were advised to get into Servo drives and the 5100. We downloaded and ran KNX5100C and it seems extremely complicated. I was hoping it would be easier to program positions, speeds, forward and reverse - basic stuff like a VFD. Does anyone know another Allen Bradley software we could program the servos with?
Any advice is defo appreciated.
Tim

The 5100 should be a good one to use for a college budget. You can use it for standalone use, the knx5100C software doesn't have the greatest documentation, but it's a good start considering you only need a USB cable to plug into it.

Plus, you can run the entire thing with no PLC. and even do Auxiliary encoder feedback from the driven unit for accurate slippage checking through the feedback port on the front of it. other drives won't let you do that internally, they require a PLC and programming to have slippage error checking done.

Any newer servos for AB are all going to be built into studio 5000.

Maybe you should look into automation direct servos and such if you want something you can program with a PLC but not have to spend a lot for software.

As for the 5100. Do you have studio5000?? you can control the Kinetix5100 through AOI inside your program on studio5000. the AOI gives you the basic MAM, MAJ, MAS etc. but there is no motion axis associated with it. the AOI are available to download from Rockwells site.

Last edited:
Thank you Ian. This is a start. Once we figure it out and we will - I will probably make a YouTube video myself. We do have Studio 5000. I probably should of gotten the Automation Direct servos instead -their Click software and other control software seems work quite well and it easy to use.

Ian & co,
My students and I have been playing with the Kinetix 5100 and the KNC standalone software. We're making progress however we need to connect some of our digital I/O to the 5100. Does anyone know the exact type of connector for the digital I/O. I think it is a SCSI-2 cable 50 pin but I just ordered one and it doesnt fit? I dont want to use the breakout board from rockwell as it looks pretty flimsy. Any info on this connector is appreciated. I couldnt find it in the product manual.
https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...ves/standalone-control/2198-kinetix-5100.html
Thank you,
Tim

I would think your local distributor would be interested in setting you up with free hardware. Or would know of OEMs or companies that have servo drives and motors more up to date. Have you contacted a local distributor and see if they would sponsor you? I would think it would be in their best interests to have their hardware and software at a community college.

As far as lab guides, they would have ready-made guides that you could use in your labs.

Last edited:
Ian & co,
My students and I have been playing with the Kinetix 5100 and the KNC standalone software. We're making progress however we need to connect some of our digital I/O to the 5100. Does anyone know the exact type of connector for the digital I/O. I think it is a SCSI-2 cable 50 pin but I just ordered one and it doesnt fit? I dont want to use the breakout board from rockwell as it looks pretty flimsy. Any info on this connector is appreciated. I couldnt find it in the product manual.
https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...ves/standalone-control/2198-kinetix-5100.html
Thank you,
Tim

the 2198-TBIO is the stated adapter to work with it. Not sure what you mean by the connector looks flimsy?

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/2198-in020_-en-p.pdf

The adapter screws in and secures to the drive itself. The manuals do say its an SCSI adapter. so your guess is as good as mine as to which one wouldl fit.

I am a noob when it comes to servo drives, but am trying to learn. I too am teaching PLCs at a community college and am ready to explore how to add some servo basics to the curriculum. I have a kinetix 5100 drive and a small servo but am having difficulty with some of the AOIs namely the MAH and the MAS instruction. If I MAJ the servo in my program, all is good, but when I use the MAS instruction to stop the servo, it doesn't stop and gives me a "127 - Previous motion has not completed" error for that instruction. Same error happens if I try the MAH instruction. The drive isn't faulting, so MAFR doesn't do anything.

Controller is L82E, drive is 2198-1004-ERS, servo is a TLP-A046. Any suggestions?

I am a noob when it comes to servo drives, but am trying to learn. I too am teaching PLCs at a community college and am ready to explore how to add some servo basics to the curriculum. I have a kinetix 5100 drive and a small servo but am having difficulty with some of the AOIs namely the MAH and the MAS instruction. If I MAJ the servo in my program, all is good, but when I use the MAS instruction to stop the servo, it doesn't stop and gives me a "127 - Previous motion has not completed" error for that instruction. Same error happens if I try the MAH instruction. The drive isn't faulting, so MAFR doesn't do anything.

Controller is L82E, drive is 2198-1004-ERS, servo is a TLP-A046. Any suggestions?
Check 2198-UM004D-EN-P and check page 496 for general execution rules. I haven't set mine up on the test bench and played with it yet, so that's the only relevant reference I have. Also check page 501 for the notes on the CommandInProgress Sts bit.

Also make sure the rung in condition for the MAJ command false when you execute the MAS.

Last edited:

For motion, realize commands are edge triggered, so your logic shouldn't keep the motion block on. You can use one shots, or better, the motion commands IP status. So for a simple jog, stop:

Xic Myjog xio MyJog.IP MAJ MyJog

Xio Myjog xic MyJog.IP MAS MyStop

As for an MAH home, axis must be stopped and on.