Floating point position calculation imprecision drift

Kataeb

I need to check an axis actual travel position, and to compare it to the master travel position.
To do this I have to multiply the axis travel position by the strange ratio of 36/21 , and then add the result to the total calculated value.
This happens at every scan of the plc program, and so I slowly lose the digits after the 7th one. After some time, I notice some differences that are coming from these calculations.
The used Rockwell plc has 7 digits precision for real data type.
36 / 21 = 1.7142857 . . .

1) use LREAL. This kicks the can down the road, but it may be far enough down the road to solve the problem.

OR

2) scale the master travel position, presumably a REAL, to an integer (scale by 21/36),
2.1) do the addition in the integer domain,
2.3) and execute the comparison in the integer domain.

OR

3) maintain an integer [leftover] quantity, initialized to 0, then on each scan
3.1) increase measured [per-scan axis travel] by [leftover]
3.2) calculate [per-scan axis travel MODULO 21], save it in [leftover]
3.3) decrease [per-scan axis travel] by [leftover]
3.4) scale [per-scan axis travel] by 36/21 into REAL
3.5) add scaled REAL result to [total calculated value, REAL]
3.6) As long as total calculated value does not exceed 16,777,216, there will be no loss of precision.

Last edited:
I have to multiply the axis travel position by the strange ratio of 36/21

This looks like there could be a gearbox or toothed belt in the system with this ratio.

I have used the first method suggested by drbitboy with success. Once you get used to working in counts inside the program it is a much easier way to go. The master position is always in counts and you only do a conversion to REAL do display the position for the operator

I would probably do that with integers, and adding the remainder of the previous division to the next division, so the smallest variations are not lost

Based on your suggestions, I reached the following solution, which worked well on the simulator, to be tried on the real machine.

MasterCalcDeg = (MasterActDeg * 21) modulo 360
SlaveCalcDeg = (SlaveActDeg * 36) modulo 360
DiffCalcDeg := (MasterCalcDeg - SlaveCalcDeg) / 21
SlaveFinalDeg := MasterActDeg - DiffCalcDeg

Thank you all ...