Ambient Temperature Sensor--Recommendations

I am looking for an relatively inexpensive ambient air temperature sensor for input into my PLC (ControLogix). We have some valve heaters that are currently using a Dayton on/off type thermostat and an Intermatic mechanical timer to control when they are energized. The timer of course loses its time reference when the power to it is off. I would like to setup control of this on the PLC as it will not lose its time (assuming the battery doesn't die), and it would allow for other flexibility of turning on the valve heaters that I don't have now(ie. turning them on earlier if it is below a certain temp)

A Ethernet connected sensor would be preferred as it requires no additional input cards and I could mount it next to a Ethernet switch I already have out on the line.

I hope you all had a safe New Year.

gclshortt- That may be a little more than what I am looking for, I kinda want an all in one package.

the_msp- That looks like something that may work. I will have to investigate it a little further tomorrow when I get back to work.

You could just use 1794 Flex I/O modules set up for TC inputs or RTD inputs. Then all you need are simple cheap RTDs or TCs. That way your Studio5000 program just looks at them as input points over Ethernet I/P.

If you want the I/O interface units mounted in the environment with the valves without another enclosure, you can use the 1732E Ethernet I/O blocks. One block can accept 4 temperature inputs, TC or RTD.

If you are happy buying on ebay I got a 1734-AENT (Point IO), 1734-IR2 (two x RTD input) for £85 (for both). Two new RTD's at £20 each off RS and I have two temp inputs over ethernet talking natively to my CPX for much less than the avtech hardware costs.

jraef- I have considered that option, and I do have flex I/O already on the line where I want to put the sensor. I just have limited space in the enclosure where it is. I think I even have an RTD module already. I am just trying to see what other options there are so I can decide on what would work best for my situation.

I found a very cheap (7 bucks) modbus RTU capable one which I can use in a couple places during this heat wave. They can be throwaways till I can see their value. I would me more nervous using Chinesium parts on the lan so this should get the job done.