5380 Local I/O Expansion

habadeer

I have used the 1769-CRLx to expand the size of an L33ER CompactLogix PLC to include additional modules in the local rack. Is this also possible for the 5069-L330ER CompactLogix PLC using 5069 IO modules? I cannot seem to find anything in the documentation that shows this, but also can't find anything that says you can't.

To be clear, I want to expand the 5069 backplane using a cable so more modules can be added on a separate DIN rail, but will appear as local I/O modules to the PLC. Is this possible and what cabling(hardware) is required?

I don't know for sure, but I would try using Integrated Architecture Builder to try to put the components together... it will advise part numbers and what is/is not possible

I don't believe I have seen rack extension cables for the 5069 compactlogix. I would guess the assumption is you would use ethernet for any rio, even if it is local rio.

Looks like a no.

@the_msp, thanks. @Oceansoul It seems that this is the case. Using the Integrated Architecture Builder I was unable to configure multiple "Banks" for the 5069 from the Chassis Configuration dialog, where this is available for the older 5370 L3.

It looks like Ethernet remote IO is the way to go.

I didn't think so, thought it was something else completely transparent. This was long ago when they first came out. But this AENTR sounds like what they ended up doing and makes sense.