I Need a Simple Small Bulletproof HMI

H2OTom

I've been working on replacing some PLCs for my clarifiers and I've got the PLCs and the program is written looks like it will work well thanks to everyone here.

Next I need, as I said in the title, a simple small and bulletproof HMI. They're going to be on the front of a control panel outdoors...in Florida. So they need to be able to take a beating in the sun and rain. Oh and then they'd have to be operator resistant. I'd like something that isn't going to require the purchase of design software. I've looked at the Maple units and don't think they're a good fit. I'm thinking something with an LED display with a back light for use at night and maybe 3-4 buttons.

I'm using the Allen Bradley Micrologix 1400 and only need to read & write to a whopping 2 integer registers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You all rock! :site:

Consider taking your HMI and enclosing it in a protected climate controlled panel with a clear display window to see the screen. Have a keyboard and mouse for operator access.

Last edited:
Look at brightness ratings. I did programming for an outside pumping station with pH monitoring many years back. I did not spec the hardware. We ended up with SLC500 and a standard Panelview. Lots of issues with sunlight washout, impossible to see at times. Tried shading, nope. Filters, nope. There was condensation issues that caused failures. So we spent the big bucks and got the outside rated, high brightness Panelview. They were working fine when I retired.

I think a neutral term is "vandal resistant".

The PanelView 300 Micro used to be an excellent option, especially for A-B controllers. The LCD display was a "transflective" type so the contrast went up in bright sunlight. They were reasonably UV resistant, and you needed a hammer or edged tool, or a squirt bottle of MEK, to do any real damage.

So was the Beijer/Mitsubishi E100. 12 buttons to functionally give you a navigation and number pad, with a 2x20 LCD display and a serial port that supported Modbus.

But both are out of production, and I don't know of a similar equivalent.

For two SP's these work simple and cheap. Not a lot of brightness and not rated for outdoors. Use your program to turn the backlight off when not in use to preserve it if you want.

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...els/3_inch_panels_-a-_accessories/ea3-s3ml-rn

Cover it up with one of these.

https://www.alliedmoulded.com/industrial/hmi-cover-kit/

The Hope monitor TWS linked should be readable in some sun, maybe not Florida sun, but some sun. 450 nits is up there. Call them though, last I talked to them they were experiencing the same shortages as everyone else.