AB DataLiner

mstanzak

We have A old Allen Bradley DataLiner DL30 and would like to change some of the text that is displayed. What I need to know is what I need to communicate with it. It has one port on it labeled keyboard which looks like a RJ45 connector. Allen Bradley no longer supports the Dl30 so any help would be appreciated.

It is an Allen Bradley keyboard that plugs into that RJ45 port. We have one and still use it. I'll look up the part number and post it for you. Maybe you can search the internet for a supplier.

IORack

I have an old DL20 Dataliner. I talked to it through a serial port using Hyper terminal in windows. :)

I can't remember the details, but it described how to do it in the manual. Do you have the manual?

Although it would be simpler, if its not too expensive, to do what IO_Rack suggests. :D

Gerry

No I don't have the manual it came on equiptment we bought used. We don't really want to spend a lot of money for something we may only change once.

I just looked in my DL20 Manual. It says a 2706-NK1 or NK2 terminal is used to program the Dataliner.

IO_Rack,
Is the NK1 a big terminal, same one that is used to program the old PLC2, or something different? :confused:

mstanzak,

:nodi: I remember now, all I did was connect to the RS232 port on the back with my laptop. When you power up the Dataliner it tells you the Baud rate, etc. Match the settings in hyperterminal, or equiv. Then when your connected and the Dataliner's powered up, hit any key then, esc three times. That should put your Dataliner in program mode. The data liner has a menu based system. It will ask you for edit mode first enter N, then it asks for run mode, hit Y, to get back to Run. There is a list of keys to use for edit mode in the manual. Go on the AB website and see if you can get a copy of the manual. If you can't maybe I could e-mail you a few pages.

By the way, what part of NY are you in?

How do go from the serial port on laptop to the RJ45 connector on the dataliner is there a special cable I need? Im going to search around
and check on the 2706-NK1 number and see about price and availabity

By the way I'm in waterloo ny hello neighbor

Gerry M,

The terminal looks like a standard keyboard except there are instructions printed at the top. (Descriptions for certain characters). It may be slightly longer than a regular keyboard. I don't know what the PLC2 is.

mstanzak,

I found manuals on AB's website for the DL20 but nothing on the DL30. :confused:

The DL20 has the jack for the keyboard plus screw terminals for serial communications. I don't know about the DL30.

Searching for manuals, I saw where they had DOS software available. Not sure if it is still available.

I modified a DL30? about 10 years ago. I used Procomm at the time. The serial connection used screw terminals on the back. Just get a straight through serial cable and cut on end off pick up your ohm meter and figure what wires are pins 2,3,and 7 then land them like the book says. If you have the baud rate, parity, and stop bits right and it still will not talk then swap the wires on pins 2 and 3. Download the manual and read it. The main thing I remember was having to hit the escape key two or three times to get the DL to notice that I wanted to program it. The book did not spell that part out for me very well. After you get it into "program mode" the book explained what to do. I bet Windows Hyperterminal will probably work fine. I dont remember how I determined the baud rate etc. probably trial and error.

Re: software

aaguiar1 said:
do u have the software to comm with AB DL20 ?

No. It has a built-in menu system. But, you'd better be following along in the manual because the menu prompts are not very descriptive.

mstanzak, are you using the DL30 or DL20? We seem to have gone off on a tangent here. I'm not familiar with the DL30 (if there is one), but I've managed to program a SLC to update text, during the run cycle, on a DL20. It has an RS232 port for that.

AK

bwheat said:
I bet Windows Hyperterminal will probably work fine. I dont remember how I determined the baud rate etc. probably trial and error.
Hi all,it's a thread 5 years ago,I am also interested in Windows Hyperterminal communication with display,how to build up the communication?Use serial port or other port?

michaelchan said:
Hi all,it's a thread 5 years ago,I am also interested in Windows Hyperterminal communication with display,how to build up the communication?Use serial port or other port?

Old thread, even older device, just throw it out and get something newer. I have no idea why HyperTerminal was mentioned, not applicable.

rsdoran said:
Old thread, even older device, just throw it out and get something newer. I have no idea why HyperTerminal was mentioned, not applicable.
Yes,they are,but these older devices are still in use,we still have the problem of maintenance,I experienced a problem today,dataliner DL20 display EDIT? after I upload the program from the unit with DL20.EXE,I don't have keyboard 2706-NK1 or 2706-NK2,what I have are comm cable,laptop with DL20.exe,according to the usermanual the unit could be back run mode by press ESC button three times,but it does not work,now my machine is running without message prompt.Could anyone ever meet same problem?