USB RS485 converter

Texasgrand

Need help. Novice just learning this stuff. I need to communicate with a device via RS485. All our laptops run Vista and have no serial port. I borrowed a laptop running XL with a serial port, plugged in a 232 to 485 converter and had no problems.

I purchased a keyspan USBx232 and a Belkin USB x 232 converter. They work with a 232 datalogger I have, but wont communicate with the 232 x 485 converter attached.

I did not find a Vista driver for the keyspan device.

I also tried a BF-430 TCP IP x 485 converter and have has no luck.

Those look pretty slick for a kit.

You can always go with the PCMCIA/Express Card setup as well.

A quick Google search yielded this:
http://www.dpie.com/pcmcia/

Here's my setup: For RS232/RS485 conversion: http://www.bb-elec.com/bb-elec/literature/485sd9tb-3803ds.pdf For USB to RS232: http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=3914 These parts are part of the standard kit I use and work together great. The USB adapter has a feature for sniffing the serial port - great for debugging! This Keyspan has Vista drivers as well.

Highly recommend the Adam 4561 from Advantech. It is isolated as well - a real bonus. Runs with Vista as well.
Used it for the first time recently for 422 (it has 232, 422 and 485), installed it, plugged it in to the PLCs and it worked straight away. Had absolutely no problems in the 4 days on site and no compaints in the last couple of weeks either.

Thanks for all the help.
I'm still investigating all of these.
I did get the Vista drivers for the Keyspan USB x 232 from Tripplite.com I connected a 232 x 485 converter made by 3One Data Communications Tech and also to a converter made by ICP.com.

Both these converters work connected directly to a serial port running XP.

When I connect the converters to the USB x 232 converter on the Vista machine it will receive data from my device but I get an error when I send data.

Any additional help is appreciated

I give up. Any suggestion for a vendor in Dallas Texas that can hook me up with a working solution.
USB to 485 ?
PCMCIA to 485 ?
Ehernet to 485 ?

Try the Adam 4561 from Advantech for RS485 - it works perfectly for me on RS422.

Sometimes you get problems when the converter takes its power from the RTS or DTR lines of the RS232 serial port. You may need to hold them high to provide the power.

Al

I also use the same Adam I found they work in a great deal many applications that off the shelf converters do not handle