Omron Timers

Giz99

I have a simple count down timer on an Omron CPU43. I put a set value of #200 and the timer times down for 20 seconds. I now use DM120 for the set value and move 200 into DM120. The timer counts down for approx 10 seconds and then gives me an error when it is completed. I assume my value of DM120 is probably in the wrong format. I want to be able to use an HMI to vary the timer value in DM120. I have tried defining DM120 as an INT and UINT_BCD.

Giz.

Hi
Enter the data into DM120 as BCD, i.e. #0200, or if the set this as the format in the HMI if the value is coming from here.
As an aside, you can (and I do) convert the plc to use decimal timers. Right-mouse the plc in the project tree and select properties from the context menu.
Pp

paraffin power said:
Hi
Enter the data into DM120 as BCD, i.e. #0200, or if the set this as the format in the HMI if the value is coming from here.
As an aside, you can (and I do) convert the plc to use decimal timers. Right-mouse the plc in the project tree and select properties from the context menu.
Pp

That would have been really helpful for me too! I just finished a project with Omron PLCs where everything was binary except for the timers and counters that I thought had to be BCD. It's still good to know for future reference.

Thanks.

I got it working. I found that my HMI could not send BCD values which the timers work in but it will display a Decimal value but send it as binary. I was then able to do a Binary to BDC BCD(24) conversion and put this value in the timer. I guess I am just used to working on other brands of PLCs which allow you to directly address these values and modify them as required.

Giz.

If you have a CJ1, CS1 or CP1 you can set timers and counters to be either BCD or decimal - the older PLCs were really BCD based - the later ones I mentioned are far more binary based and that is why you can choose either BCd or decimal for timers and counters.