Programming Text Labels

Yes you should always do that...

What is your question? Why do it....or how do you do it?
Why is pretty easy, for debugging your own work and for every person that will ever follow you. The text labels aid in the understanding of the logic.

How...well that depends on which brand of PLC you are using.

Yes I understand why we use Text Labels it's more the how we use them especially Siemens Simatic s5.

I have a statement list with a couple of function blocks with German words i can't translate:

'TOTBERE'
'W-RAHMEN'
'TEL-BREI'
'WG-FEHL'?
:oops:

I think that you are only partially successful with an automated translation. Some seem to be abbreviations.

Of the german that I remember

Tot means dead or something like that.

Hopefully someone from that part of the world can help.

Mike, why didn't you ask the second question first?

Last edited:
I ran into the same obstacle

And it's almost impossible.

Bad enough trying to translate german, but abbreviated german?

We are now making plans for next year to do a full retrofit of an operational machine, primarily because the program is completely german. Yes, it's that bad.

TM

For future reference: To get a ß, hold down the control key and type 0223 on the numeric keypad... :nodi:

beerchug

-Eric

An improvement over Window's "Character Map" is a program called "Extended Character Map". I use this one all the time. It's homepage is gone, but it's small enough, so I just attached it... :cool:

[attachment]beerchug

-Eric

Eric Nelson said:
For future reference: To get a ß, hold down the control key and type 0223 on the numeric keypad... /B]

Actually, Eric, it's hold down the ALT key while entering the number on the numeric keypad, while Num Lock is on.

I should know - that's how I get my signature block (0169. 0191, 0169, 0172). I used to have to type it before Phil created the new forum with an auto signature block.

It's a trick that goes back to DOS days (although there you only entered the 3-digit ASCII code for the character). Being an old trick, some HMIsoftware packages still allow it. I once built a Panelview display using the ASCII line-draw characters to build pipes and equipment (since the bitmaps that came with Panelbuilder weren't right.) But that was way back when Panelviews were text-based, not object based graphics.

The esset (ß), being part of the german character set (it's supposed to be a cursive 'S' mounted on top of another 'S', for the "SS" (or perhaps "SZ" sound) is there. What's not available, much to my dismay, are the greek characters, such as delta, sigma and omega (although mu (µ) is there, I guess because it stands for "micro")). You can get them in Word, and in extensions to some Windows fonts, but they aren't part of the basic Windows character set.

Just another complaint against the folks in Redmond.

Last edited:
Re: I ran into the same obstacle

TimothyMoulder said:
And it's almost impossible.
Bad enough trying to translate german, but abbreviated german?
TM

Same here cents! When U use english abbrev. I'm finnish and english is equal for me than german is for you.
ÅåÄäÖö..€ (Alt E)

Last edited:
Allen Nelson said:
Actually, Eric, it's hold down the ALT key while entering the number on the numeric keypad, while Num Lock is on

Um yeah, you're right Allen... :oops:

My 'excuse' for that mistake is that you can't read the text on the key while pressing it!... ;)

beerchug

-Eric