PLC Ladder Logic

joeespo

I'm new at PLC's,I'm still in school.
I have a project that is supposed to use a
sensor to detect a ball in a hopper and
a sensor to determine its color.
I'm lost on how to approach this problem.
So far I have used timers and counters
and set up a game of Jeopardy with no problem.
But I'm lost on how the ladder diagram should be
approached on this project.Thanks for the help.

Well...I think perhaps some more information would be helpful. But I'll try working with what you've given. Take things one step at a time. You will have to ask yourself some questions like...
1. what else is in the hopper with the ball?
2. how is the ball different from the other objects? ie. is the ball the only metal object?... is the ball the only round object?
3. which difference will allow me to detect the ball?
If the ball is the only metal object then you can use the correct type proximity sensor to identify the ball. If the ball is the only round object then a vision system can determine both shape and color. But either way you still need to determine a method of putting the ball where your detection method can find it.

Solve the problems one by one....Don't try to handle it as a single problem. You will find many ways to utilize a PLC to help you solve each problem and to tie each solution into a complete program.

As you make progress, post your work and any deeper questions you may have. Many people will be happy to help you.

Good Luck

Re: 1941

KMG said:
icon11.gif

• confused.gif
IOW, is this some 'inside joke' I'm not privy to?

Pardon my ignorance... it's been a L-:oops:-N-G day...

beerchug

-Eric

No...its not a joke. I don't know why it's there??? I didn't notice it when I proofed my post. I guess that's what happens when you are multi-tasking. I guess I had better look over my other work and see if I'm missing a number.....