PanelView Plus Firmware question

sthays10

I am currently using RSViewME version 3.2. I ordered a Panelview Plus terminal, and although I haven't received it yet, I want to find out if there is anything I will need to do to get the RSViewME on the PanelView to be the same version as my software. I am not sure what version it shipped with, but I think it is newer than 3.2.

Are the PVP terminals backward compatible? If it shipped with version 3.5, for example, will it read a program created with 3.2? Or will i need to get new firmware for the terminal and back flash it?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

--Steve

I currently use 3.2, & we had a panelview+ flashed (not sure what version but it still loads ok.
I believe that someone sent me an ap that was done on V4.0 & I opened it with 3.2 ok, be aware about flashing the PV+, although been sucessfull with one, the other I tried to do failed, now it's only good as a book stop.

Good to hear about the bookstop. Guess I'll have to read up more on flashing the PV, cause right now I think if I transformed a new PV+ into a bookstop I would probably be killed. Literally. Well, okay, not so much, but still.

Thanks

sthays10 said:
I am currently using RSViewME version 3.2. I ordered a Panelview Plus terminal, and although I haven't received it yet, I want to find out if there is anything I will need to do to get the RSViewME on the PanelView to be the same version as my software. I am not sure what version it shipped with, but I think it is newer than 3.2.

Are the PVP terminals backward compatible? If it shipped with version 3.5, for example, will it read a program created with 3.2? Or will i need to get new firmware for the terminal and back flash it?
I suggest you take the path of least resistance and get RSViewME version 4. That is what will be on your new PV+. There is no compatibility between versions of ME. However, RSView Studio ver 4 is able to work with all 3.x versions.

Your current 3.2 software is only useful with 3.2 hardware.
I would avoid trying to change the version of the PV+.

I agree with Gerry

Use RSView 4.0 as it lets you save your runtime file as anywhere from 3.0 - 4.0

Please remember though, once you open a 3.2 project up in RSView 4.0, you cannot open it again in RSView 3.2.

I have flashed many PV+ and never had a problem. I found the best way to flash one is to make a memory module with the flash software on it, then insert it into the PV+ and cycle power. Now that software is out that will talk to the different versions maybe having to flash stuff contantly will go away.

Here's the straight dope:

You can run an RSView ME 3.x runtime file on a terminal that has 4.0 firmware. No changes or "downgrading" of the terminal is required.

You can also use RSView Studio 4.0 to perform a "save as" for all the 3.x versions, so you can maintain PanelView Plus terminals with 3.x firmware in them without upgrading them.

A-B has been pretty good about replacing CompactFlash cards and repairing terminals; give your distributor a call if you have a damaged unit.

I prefer to run 3.2.06 as my standard firmware in PanelViews at this time... I still don't need the 4.0 features.

Thanks for the advice. I will upgrade to RSView 4.0 when I get a chance, but I won't be able to do that anytime soon (it's nearly impossible to get new software approved, even if it's just a new version).

I had another quick question - is there a default location that RSLogix will put firmware for a processor? I have a new processor, and need to upgrade it's firmware, but can't find the file.

Thanks for the advice and help.

Steve

ControlLogix firmware is all handled by the ControlFlash utility.

It's always bundled with a ControlFlash tool installation, so you just install your newest version of ControlFlash and it fills up the firmware directories with whatever was "kitted" into that installation.

Start -> Programs -> Flash Programming Tools -> ControlFlash

The PanelView Plus firmware is handled by a separate firmware tool.

Start -> Programs -> Rockwell Software -> RSView Enterprise -> Tools -> ME Firmware Upgrade Wizard.

PV+ firmware can be loaded over the network or via a CF card.
ControlLogix firmware is usually loaded over a network.

I think it might be possible to load newer Logix controllers with firmware using CompactFlash... has anyone on the Forum done that ?

After I posted earlier, I did a search and found an old thread with a link to the rockwell firmware upgrade page. Logged in, downloaded firmware, ran the utility, and now am good to go.

Ended up not needing to update PanelView. My 3.2 runtime app works on the terminal as you and others mentioned above.

Thanks,

Steve