WinDirStat for rslogix?

jholm90

I've loved using the WinDirStat program for ages to show a nice intuitive chart showing what the biggest offenders on my old 10gb hard drives were using the most space. These days we don't really care how many old files are on the 2TB+ drives so it isn't used as much any more.

We are still in the issue with space usage in the Allen-Bradley PLC world as a fancy gold tier compactlogix has 4MB of storage and this can get eaten up with the amount of local data collection that some projects require if server side comms are lost ( I need 24hrs of data backup with each part producing ~100 REAL tags and ~100 STRING tags, every 23s...) I'd love to switch to Beckhoff on a PC, but the customer's maintenance team has training that cannot be translated outside rslogix... bet that's the first time everyone has heard that!

I don't see a fancy way right now while writing these programs to see how much of my memory is being used in which locations within studio5000 without getting the notebook out and writing down all of the UDT sizes and controller/program tags. I'm about to get my personal laptop out and start writing some new l5x analyzing tools but I am curious what else is out there that has been used?

Yeah no existing tools. You can however export tags and sort them in excel. Since PLCs don't really have directories, just some scoping, it should be possible in excel.

Also, Wiztree>WinDirStat any day.

https://windirstat.net/

It's a visual folder reference tool to see what files are using up space and which ones are the worst offenders. I want to see which tags are using the most space and which ones are bigger than I expected.

windirstat.jpg

Yeah no existing tools. You can however export tags and sort them in excel. Since PLCs don't really have directories, just some scoping, it should be possible in excel.

Also, Wiztree>WinDirStat any day.

Does this excel export contain sizes?

I stuck with the one I found back in the old xp days and haven't changed...

Does this excel export contain sizes?

I stuck with the one I found back in the old xp days and haven't changed...

I meant to say that you can create your own. It can contain sizes if you just write the right queries. How advanced it would be depends on you.