Numbers of motors on single VFD

Shamesh

How many motors we operate from single drive?
I have 4 motors of 1hp, all motors have same function. Is it possible to run all 4 motors from single 5hp drive?

yes, you can though you did not mention what voltage you are going to use.
Please take into account that 4 motors @ 1Hp consume more that 1 motor @4Hp.
So my recommendation is to increase the size of your drive if necessary.
Use an individual metal conduit for each motor
Use individual current monitor for each motor, if a motor trips its monitor that should trip the whole thing
Never try to disconnect or connect a motor while the system is running.

Welcome to the forum, Shamesh!

You should definitely check with your drive manufacturer's documentation and local electrical codes for any warnings and/or instructions. If allowed, there may be special parameter settings for such a situation.

I had a project where we did this with two motors, one drive many years ago. We had a motor circuit protector (MCP) for each motor. Feedback from each MCP was wired in series to a drive input so that the drive would not run if either MCP was turned off or tripped on overload.

yes, you can though you did not mention what voltage you are going to use.
Please take into account that 4 motors @ 1Hp consume more that 1 motor @4Hp.
So my recommendation is to increase the size of your drive if necessary.
Use an individual metal conduit for each motor
Use individual current monitor for each motor, if a motor trips its monitor that should trip the whole thing
Never try to disconnect or connect a motor while the system is running.

Motor rated voltge-420V, current-1.4A
How to calculate size of VFD for this application and what will be rating and current parameters setting in Vfd.

We have been running 6 - 1/2HP motors on a single 5HP drive for years. You cannot start all the motors at the same time, start-up current is way to high. You will need separate overload protection for each motor and best to use a contactor to stage the starting of the motors.

If all of the motors need to start at the same time then the drive will need to greatly oversized to handle the start-up current. In that case I would go to 1 drive per motor, it would be way cheaper in the long run.

The “rules of thumb” for multiple drives are;

1. Each motor is required to have its own separate overload protection. If you use an Over Load Relay, all of them must be wired to shut down the drive if any one motor overloads. But be aware that most bimetallic OLRs are NOT rated for use at any frequencies other than 50 or 60 Hz. The alternative is to use a Motor Protective Switch that actually opens under load to disconnect one motor, which also allows you to run the rest of the motors if necessary. Opening the MPS on the output of a VFD is not something you want to do on a regular basis, but for this purpose it’s fine.

2. Size the drive amp rating for a minimum of 10% higher than the combined motor FLA ratings. More is better, less will risk the drive tripping.

3. Use a load reactor on the VFD. When you add motors, you add circuit length in terms of capacitive charging current and in terms of risk exposure to external conductor faults. So if you have 4 motors each 10m from the drive, it’s like having one motor that is 40m away. This is the reason some drives will trip trying to start multiple motors at once (it’s not the motor inrush). The output reactor slows the rise time of that current spike to where the drive doesn’t interpret it as a dI/dt event and in the case of a conductor fault, the slowing of that current spike to where the VFD protective features have time to react.

4. Don’t cycle the separate motors with contactors. The drive will control the starting current as it ALWAYS does. But once the drive has ramped up the first motor, then you energize the second one (and every one thereafter), those subsequent motors will NOT receive the benefit of being ramped from zero, so there WILL be a motor inrush for each one. If you are lucky, the VFD will go into current limit when each one starts, but this is putting significant dI/dt stress on the transistors and they will have significantly shortened life.

Also, although it SHOULD be intuitive, one thing I have run into many times is that people are shocked that all of the motors will run at the same frequency! This is just a warning to “manage expectations” with the users who request this.

Last edited:

Also, although it SHOULD be intuitive, one thing I have run into many times is that people are shocked that all of the motors will run at the same frequency! This is just a warning to “manage expectations” with the users who request this.

You'd be surprised how often this pops up. At a previous plant, we had about a dozen machines that had old 1336 drives that each powered 2 motors that drove cutting spindles via timing belts. At least once a year or so, maintenance would have to replace a pulley and would grab one that's close but not quite the same. The spindles being at different speeds caused major issues and we would be asked to "re-calibrate" or "reprogram" it to fix the problem. We had to patiently explain that this couldn't be fixed electronically and that maintenance had to use the correct components. When they pushed (they almost always did), we'd suggest they buy new drives so each motor could be on its own. At that point, they'd get maintenance to fix it correctly.

...At that point, they'd get maintenance to fix it correctly.

:ROFLMAO:

Reminds me of the Noah skit:
The Lord: You gotta take one of those elephants back.

Noah: Why?

TL: You got to males there, you need a male and a female.

N: I'm not taking one back; you change one of 'em!

TL: C'mon Noah, you know I don't work like that ...​

The “rules of thumb” for multiple drives are;

I think you meant NOT run at the same frequency. The motors will all be fed the same electrical frequency, however, mechanical rotational speed will not necessarily be the same.

The drive must be ran in V/HZ mode (ie. open loop). No rpm/vector/closed loop

I did a job once that had 23 motors on one 500amp PowerFlex700H, they had programmed it to shut the drive off if 3 or more motors overloaded. This was on the long travel of a ship loader. From memory each motor had its own overload and contactor, I think each motor was 5.5 or 7.5kW each.

I think you meant NOT run at the same frequency. The motors will all be fed the same electrical frequency, however, mechanical rotational speed will not necessarily be the same.

The drive must be ran in V/HZ mode (ie. open loop). No rpm/vector/closed loop

Doesn't "run at the same frequency" = "fed the same electrical frequency"? Or am I missing some nuance here?

Doesn't "run at the same frequency" = "fed the same electrical frequency"? Or am I missing some nuance here?

Not all motors are made the same. While a four pole motor (at 50Hz) has a nameplate speed of somewhere approaching 1500rpm, they're all slightly different. I was just looking at two motors on our test bench yesterday and one is 1380rpm, the other is 1420rpm.
There's also the possibility of using a two pole motor which would be twice the speed for example.

I think you meant NOT run at the same frequency.
I am curious how you think that a single drive could run one motor at (eg) 60 Hz and another at 50 Hz simultaneously.

I am quite sure he meant exactly what he said as it is quite true both in direct statement (the FREQUENCY for all motors will necessarily be the same) and in its implication (the RPM of the motors cannot be changed independently of each other short of physically changing the motor*).

Yes the RPM for the motors can be different based on motor characteristics. He said nothing about RPM though, only frequency.

*treating motors that can be wired to run at different speeds as a special case of changing the motor