ET200SP Firmware Issues

ControlsDude17

Supporting Member
Hello,

Has anyone had any issues running firmware v4.1 on Siemens ET200SP? We have had an increase in analog input card failures ever since updating to this version. No pattern, affecting multiple areas of the machine that are isolated from each other. Only commonality seems to be firmware at this point.

Thanks,

What are the failures ?
Does the card cease to function ?
Do they become physically damaged ?

Cant see how a firmware version can cause a hardware failure.
And if FW4.1 was somehow bad, it would be many others that would have been affected.

Are the areas of the machine isolated so much that potential differences can be a problem ? If so, equipotential bonding would be the solution.

What are the failures ?
Does the card cease to function ?
Do they become physically damaged ?

Cant see how a firmware version can cause a hardware failure.
And if FW4.1 was somehow bad, it would be many others that would have been affected.

Are the areas of the machine isolated so much that potential differences can be a problem ? If so, equipotential bonding would be the solution.

The cards cease the function, no known physical damage, as they are in non-movement areas and are protected inside cabinets as well. They are in what we call process lids which have their own cabling that go to them, including power and comms. The devices attached to these cards are isolated from the devices attached to the same card in a different lid. That is what I mean by isolated.

It may have been hardware, some years ago we had some 32 way digital cards that were brand new, the I/O was not reflected in the map, this was intermittent fault, when first populated everything was fine after a month or 2 we were getting no reflection of the real I/O into the mapped I/O, Siemens said they did not have a problem, it turned out that some chips were out of tollerance causing the fault, so it is possible they have had a bad batch of cards or perhaps there is some interference i.e. spiking going on. I sort of agree it is not likely to be firmware, but then again who knows.

The devices attached to these cards are isolated from the devices attached to the same card in a different lid.
?
I think a small sketch can explain this better.

Also, if you setup the affected cards in a test rig, does it still not work ?
I asked if they are physically damaged, when I meant if they have become damaged in any way including electrically.
You can only find out by testing them in a known good setup rig.

Last edited:
It reads as if they are all part of the same machine, same site; that is a commonality; I would start there.
Are they connected to similar devices?